EVGA 850W P2 ECO Mode causing PC to crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelTheFish

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I bought a new power supply off Amazon about 2 months ago and I ran fine until lately.

About 3 weeks ago whilst playing rust my computer froze completely, my keyboard and mouse where unresponsive and no sound was playing through my computer so I did a hard reset via the power button.

The computer restarts fine and I can play games, go on the internet and stuff but every now and again for no reason my computer will restart with no warning.
I had a look at my power supply and I turned off ECO mode on the power supply and it seems to be okay, but sometimes it still crashes but not nearly as often.

So It would seem that my power supply is causing the problem, all my temps seem okay and I doubt its my graphics card as that is also new (bought it this February). As I said everything was okay when I first bought it, it's just been acting up lately.

Any replies would be very helpful I really want to solve this issue.

PC Specs (If this helps :) )

AMD 760k
MSI A88x G45
8GB AMD Performance RAM
R9 390 Sapphire
EVGA 850W P2
1TB Seagate
Coolermaster EVO 412s
Fractal Design R5 Solid side panel
2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan

Solution
How long have you had the system? It was purchased new?

You could try to reset the CMOS. Maybe flash the BIOS too to the most recent version.
I doubt it is the ECO mode causing the problem, though it could be the PSU. Just coincidence, I think. I would try it with only one stick of RAM for a while and see if it improves. Also run Memtest on your RAM. Do you have another PSU that you can try?

NigelTheFish

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

I've used the windows diagnostic tool and no memory errors where found and I don't have another PSU I could test my system on.

NigelTheFish

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

I've been using only 1 stick of ram (4gb) for about 3 hours now and I still get crashs. They take longer when ECO mode is turned off and they happen almost instantly when it's turned on.
I reseated all my cables and made sure there all secure.

NigelTheFish

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

I've been tweaking with in game settings and drivers etc to see if anything would budge, It seems when I enable V SYNC that I have no crashing, (this is with ECO mode disabled) Is this still a PSU issue, maybe my power supply isn't fully powering my GPU or is my GPU the problem?

But with ECO mode enabled, it still crashes right? I think it must be a defective PSU. 850 watts is plenty of power for everything you have there. If anyone else has any ideas, please join in.

NigelTheFish

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

It's probably the power supply to be honest, but it's only started to happen recently and up until then it was fine. Could it be some bad drivers or something? I'm getting a new motherboard CPU and Ram Later on this month, just to see if those are the problems

The Antiquary

Prominent
May 26, 2017
Forgive me for rezzing an old thread, but these posts are still invaluable when you are googling for fixes.

Absolutely eco mode can crash your system under load.

I've been having problems with any 3D game randomly crashing my system, tested every component, checked for conflicts and errors, updated bios - my pc only got stable again after noticing eco mode was on and switched it off. Possible explanation can be found here:

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-650-P2-Eco-Mode-is-broken-which-overheats-and-restarts-PCs-m2490583.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.