EVGA 8800 GTX superclocked vs BFG 8800 GTX OC (768 mb)

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018
I'm building an older gamer and therefore I've just bought an EVGA 8800 GTX superclocked 768 mb. But I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is more powerful than the BFG OC 768 mb or vice versa?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The EVGA version is slightly faster but both cards will overclock to about the same limit so you really won't notice much of a difference. Driver related issues seem to be a little less frequent on the EVGA side.

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018

Okay, that's good to know. Also I was wondering, if the brands are considered equally good so it comes down to a matter of taste?

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018

You are saying something :) I was just wondering because I got this card in the auction with only me and another one bidding. I got the card for a very low price and nobody else bid, so I was just wondering if this was due to the brand or the "superclocked" term. Anyway, the card looks really good on the pictures, so maybe I was just lucky.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

EVGA 8800 GTX superclocked $630~$650
Base Clock: 621 MHZ
Memory Clock: 2000 MHz

BFG 8800 GTX OC ~ $620- $630 "
Base Clock: 600 MHZ
Memory Clock: 1800 MHz

8800 GTX Base card speed ~$600 "I owned the XFX version"
Base Clock: 575 MHZ
Memory Clock: 1800 MHz

The difference here.
Fastest out of the Box
EVGA
BFG

Best Cooling
1.BFG
2.EVGA

Best Warranty "Limited Lifetime"
1.BFG and XFX "BFG had the best Warrenty and customer support "24/7/365" you could find"

The Superclocked was the fastest card you could get other than the Ulta 8800's which were $200 more and only 10% faster. BFG's version was a little slower out of the box but also a little cheaper and could easly could be overclocked with better cooling. 8800/9800 GTX's ran pretty hot so expect to replace fans and Thermal paste before you even power them up.

BFG produces high end GPU's and Home theater equipment, everything they made was top notch and pretty expensive.

simonslothtour

Commendable
Apr 21, 2018

Okay, thats really nice information! By saying expect to replace fans, do you mean replacing the fan on the graphics card itself because of the used condition (same with thermal paste) or to install new ones in the pc case?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Those are both blower style so only the GPU fan. Thermal paste typically dries out after 3 years and the fans are always a guess on how long they will last. I had a XFX 9800 for 10 years with the same fan but my EVGA 1060 is on it's 2nd fan after less than 2 years.