eVGA 8800GTS Power Supply

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hello,
I was wondering whether an eVGA non-OC 8800GTS GPU would be fine with a reliable Hiper 580W power supply. Here's the one I was thinking about buying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817128002

Some people seem to think you need 1000W of steel, others think a 400W bare minimum recommended PSU is what you need, I go for mid-range, personally. Tell me if you think this will run the 8800GTS at full. According to our local computer store, you only need 500W. I suspect that's because they can only sell anything like that or lower at an affordable price. Thanks in advance ---

~Cody

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
speaking of the 88gts.

i think your 8800 has too much power for you.

you should send it to me and ill give you 2 68gt,s :p

you will have sli, isnt that suppose to be better 8O

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
speaking of the 88gts.

i think your 8800 has too much power for you.

you should send it to me and ill give you 2 68gt,s :p

you will have sli, isnt that suppose to be better 8O

lol, just found this
flexible-fat-ass.jpg

does this answer your question? (no offence :D )

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hello,
I was wondering whether an eVGA non-OC 8800GTS GPU would be fine with a reliable Hiper 580W power supply. Here's the one I was thinking about buying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817128002

Some people seem to think you need 1000W of steel, others think a 400W bare minimum recommended PSU is what you need, I go for mid-range, personally. Tell me if you think this will run the 8800GTS at full. According to our local computer store, you only need 500W. I suspect that's because they can only sell anything like that or lower at an affordable price. Thanks in advance ---

~Cody

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=214427&highlight=

So are you saying that I should purchase a single-rail PSU? Because I don't plan on any insane OCing...probably 10%-20%, but I like to leave my options open. If so, or if not, what do you recommend? I'd like to keep the price relatively low. Single +12v is single-rail, correct? I need to work on my PSU knowledge. Generally I just buy whatever has a lot of watts for a little price.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you! I am purchasing the Enermax 550W single-rail PSU. For some reason, it costs $20 less than the Hiper 580W to ship to Alaska, so I didn't lose that much money after all. My system, to be purchased, in case anyone feels like commenting:

Intel E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
Western Digital 250GB 16MB Cache SATA Drive
PNY 8800GTS
Patriot eXtreme Performace PC2 6400 2GB RAM
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel
Enermax 550W +12V@36A (10A above recommended!) PSU
NEC DVD Burner Silver to match my case

I was an AMD fan until now, but ever since I've seen some of those Conroe benchmarks...man. Their cheaper Conroes are better than anything that AMD has to offer. For example: AMD's AM2 5200 is 10% worse than the E6600. And AMD is upgrading all their sockets once more for new quad cores later this year...I'm just gonna go with the LGA 775, since its upgradeable to Intel quad-core when it becomes remotely affordable. Anyway, that's my shpeel.

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You are the man. Yes A$$man I salute you!

Women's a$$es are the best...a close second is Intel CPUs.

Hey what do you expect from someone called Howard_Stern?

Regards.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you! I am purchasing the Enermax 550W single-rail PSU. For some reason, it costs $20 less than the Hiper 580W to ship to Alaska, so I didn't lose that much money after all. My system, to be purchased, in case anyone feels like commenting:

Intel E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
Western Digital 250GB 16MB Cache SATA Drive
PNY 8800GTS
Patriot eXtreme Performace PC2 6400 2GB RAM
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel
Enermax 550W +12V@36A (10A above recommended!) PSU
NEC DVD Burner Silver to match my case

I was an AMD fan until now, but ever since I've seen some of those Conroe benchmarks...man. Their cheaper Conroes are better than anything that AMD has to offer. For example: AMD's AM2 5200 is 10% worse than the E6600. And AMD is upgrading all their sockets once more for new quad cores later this year...I'm just gonna go with the LGA 775, since its upgradeable to Intel quad-core when it becomes remotely affordable. Anyway, that's my shpeel.

Damn. This is a review on Newegg about the Enermax +12v@36A PSU:

Cons: This PS has a compatiblity issue with Gigabyte DS3 motherboard. If you are gonna build a system with DS3 board, Don't buy this PS. Never works with it.

And that's the motherboard I was planning on getting. I'll look into the Silverstone PSU.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Here, I found one that looks cheap and good. Check it out, Powertek 750W +12@42A:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817713002

Has some pretty good reviews and such. I can't think of any problem with this beast.

I would not worry to much about reviews from newegg.com. To many times people that rate the products and such have no clue as to what they are doing and as for the guy that said the enermax was incompatible with the gigabyte board I am willing to bet money that its user error on his part. I dont really see how the enermax would be incompatible with that board but whatever.

As for the Powertek I know nothing about them so I would be a little cautious, you might want to see if you can find some pro reviews. The thing I dont like is that they are not showing that PSU's effeciency rating which is sometimes a bad sign.

Yeah, I don't really see how a PSU can be incompatible with a motherboard either. There are a lot of useless people on Newegg, that is true - they generally manage to report the part if it's broken though. Grumble. PowerTek's website sucks. It only has on product on there which isn't even the one I'm looking for. Damn. Sounds too shady for me. I'll skip it.

So, that Enermax 550 will definitively power my system, with 8800GTS, and leave a good amount of room open for OCing later on?

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Okay that sounds good to me. I was solicited on Amazon by some fraudster in Indonesia who was trying to con me out of the computer parts I was selling, and the way that his emails were written resembles closely the Powertek website. Quote: "You have on the Amazon.com..." He didn't manage to con me, in case anyone cares. :wink:

Powertek sounds kind of crappy so I'll skip them -- their 750W PSU does not have an on/off button which is not a good thing. I don't even plan on that much out-of-the-box OCing, so that's not even remotely a problem. Unless they come out with a 10600GTXXX or something. Thank you for your help! :)

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Here, I found one that looks cheap and good. Check it out, Powertek 750W +12@42A:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817713002

Has some pretty good reviews and such. I can't think of any problem with this beast.

I would not worry to much about reviews from newegg.com. To many times people that rate the products and such have no clue as to what they are doing and as for the guy that said the enermax was incompatible with the gigabyte board I am willing to bet money that its user error on his part. I dont really see how the enermax would be incompatible with that board but whatever.

As for the Powertek I know nothing about them so I would be a little cautious, you might want to see if you can find some pro reviews. The thing I dont like is that they are not showing that PSU's effeciency rating which is sometimes a bad sign.

Yeah, I don't really see how a PSU can be incompatible with a motherboard either. There are a lot of useless people on Newegg, that is true - they generally manage to report the part if it's broken though. Grumble. PowerTek's website sucks. It only has on product on there which isn't even the one I'm looking for. Damn. Sounds too shady for me. I'll skip it.

So, that Enermax 550 will definitively power my system, with 8800GTS, and leave a good amount of room open for OCing later on?

I went to Powertek's website as well and left unimpressed by their lack of information :roll:

As for the Enermax it will give you tons of overclocking headroom. I just built a S939 system for my best friend and his specs are as follows-

Enermax 550
Opteron 175 overclocked from 2.2ghz to 3.1ghz
8800GTX overclocked to 630core 2030mem
Asus A8N5X
2gigs ddr 400
Soundblaster Audigy SE
3 case fans, 2 dvd cd drives and 1 hard drive.

The enermax 550 was showing a rock solid stable 12v rail after hours of gaming with this system! 11.97 on the 12 rail with all this heaving overclocking on the CPU and a Power hungry 8800GTX is pretty freakin awesome 8)

You have to also remember you are using an 8800GTS which doesnt use as much power as the GTX, so if this PSU can handle a heavily overclocked GTX then a GTS will be no problem for sure.

whats the amperage of that psu?
Igot an antec true power 30A ( true power 550W )
with a similar system

(X2 3800 2.0 to 2.5 Ghz OC , watercooling system
5 120mm fans , sound blater audigy 2zs, 2 hdds (IDE ) 2 dvd-rws
capture tv card, but atm with a X850XT. 2 GB ram DDr400 and asus a8n-E )

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Yeah, I saw that one too --- I'm already a little overbudget with the computer parts that I already have picked out, so I don't know if I want to add another 50 bucks into the mix. The only thing I'd want a power supply that huge for would be SLI, and nVidia recommends some pretty insane PSUs for that. 8800s really do suck power.

Do people think that the Enermax 550W +12V@36A PSU would hold me off for a while? I don't plan on upgrading anything for a relatively good amount of time, so if you could give me suggestions on this that would be great.

Also: does anyone know where there is a larger selection of single-rail power supplies on the internet? Newegg does have a few, but most are crappy $20 things with 20A or something.

G

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I'm also finding my comp to randomly shutdown. I've tried to research why this is happening but haven't found any solid details. I have tested the HDD and RAM which are working properly on another setup which leaves the PSU, CPU and motherboard to be tested. If all three are working properly, can I assume it is the PSU? Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

MB ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650I SLI 775
MEM 1Gx2|G-SKILL
POWER SUPPLY ANTEC SP-500
CPU INTEL|C2D E6400 2.13G
HD 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2
DVD BURNER SONY
PNY 8800GTS