EVGA 970 getting way too high temperatures after cleaning.

Lukinch

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hi, i'm having issues with my 970. So i just finished cleaning all my computer, plug everything, turn it up, open AC Odyssey and i start hearing a really high fan noise, i check the temps and the GPU is at 80°C and 99% usage. So i decided to shut down the game and test another one, this time PUBG, GPU load on loby was 64%, pretty normal for the game but the temp was reaching 75°C.

This was not happening before the cleaning. what i usually do when cleaning the gpu is disarm it completely, remove dust, change thermal paste and put everything together again. BUT, this time i decied to clean the PCB with some alcohol and some cotton swabs (because it had some dust really stick to it). After building the computer again, all the problems happened.

I also updated to the latest Nvidia drivers before cleaning the computer, and i haven't test it so... now i'm downloading older drivers to see if that is an issue.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if i wrote something bad, i'm not a native english speaker.

I hope you can help me.

Solution
I would pull the graphics card, remove the cooler again and clean all of the thermal paste from both sides but DO NOT use cotton swabs. Cotton swabs or cotton balls or paper towels or toilet paper or anything like that can leave debris in the form of small particles or lint on any surface you use them to clean. Lint like that can create gaps and air bubbles between surfaces.

Use only a lint free type cloth, micro fiber cleaning cloths like the type you would use for cleaning eye glasses or paper fiber coffee filters for cleaning. None of those will leave major lint particles behind. If may be also that you used too little or too much paste or simply got a bad paste job this time, but obviously it should go without saying that if you've...
I would pull the graphics card, remove the cooler again and clean all of the thermal paste from both sides but DO NOT use cotton swabs. Cotton swabs or cotton balls or paper towels or toilet paper or anything like that can leave debris in the form of small particles or lint on any surface you use them to clean. Lint like that can create gaps and air bubbles between surfaces.

Use only a lint free type cloth, micro fiber cleaning cloths like the type you would use for cleaning eye glasses or paper fiber coffee filters for cleaning. None of those will leave major lint particles behind. If may be also that you used too little or too much paste or simply got a bad paste job this time, but obviously it should go without saying that if you've done this before and not had an issue and you did not have this issue before doing it this time, then you MUST have done something wrong or missed a step.

Make sure all the fans on the cooler are functioning and that you've reconnected everything that you might have disconnected during the cleaning process including motherboard and other connections.

Also, EVERY SINGLE TIME you install a different version of the Nvidia (Or AMD, if you have an AMD card) drivers you SHOULD use the DDU (Display driver uninstaller by Wagnard tools).

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

Solution

Lukinch

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

It didn't change, it is still heating up like creazy :/