EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 - Horrible coil whine, but only in Skyrim?

Lurr7

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Well, after having my build together for about a week I've started to notice the inevitable coil whine with the 970's.

In most situations, it's entirely tolerable, but Skyrim seems to make it just flat out screechy, for lack of a better word. I've tried vsync, I've tried limiting frames to 60 with Nvidia Inspector, and I've tried resolutions & settings ranging from 1440p @ max to 720p @ low, always the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's not just fan noise, as one video I'd watched said a good way to tell it's coil whine is to see if the sound 'plays along' with you. To try this, I went in a dark cave and looked between the light shining outside and the relatively dark floor underneath me - as I move the mouse, I hear the screeching change pitch, which stays steady when looking at a steady environment.

I've tinkered with the voltage, really no difference so far in anything.

Older games that I have just for the sake of it (Age of Empires 2 HD for one example) run with no noticeable whine at all, and other newer games I've tried (AC: Unity & DA: Inquisition for example) have a very slight whine that I can live with. Heaven benchmark has the card behaving about the same as these two in terms of noise.

Is there anything particularly special about Skyrim that might just make this card not want to play nice?

Solution
Oki. In my experience, I almost ended up in claiming the warranty on PSU just because of strange sound coming (apparently) from PSU. Sound increased under load/stress and reduced at idle. But upon closer inspection it was to my surprise that one of SP-120s Corsair fans was making this horrible noise.

That is why I asked. If your CPU is in warranty, better contact EVGA and get it replaced ASAP.

Lurr7

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
I did think it could possibly be the PSU, but I tried moving my ear between the two, and it was quite a bit louder near the GPU from the back of the case. Just to be sure, I swapped it out for an older Corsair 550W I had in the closet, same issues. As far as case fans, I really can't hear them at all, they're quite silent most of the time - I didn't know they could even produce that type of noise, but I don't think the sound seems like it's coming from either of them.

Oki. In my experience, I almost ended up in claiming the warranty on PSU just because of strange sound coming (apparently) from PSU. Sound increased under load/stress and reduced at idle. But upon closer inspection it was to my surprise that one of SP-120s Corsair fans was making this horrible noise.

That is why I asked. If your CPU is in warranty, better contact EVGA and get it replaced ASAP.

Solution

Lurr7

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Well, I'm going to do EVGA's trade up program and just grab a FTW - I figure the performance increase is warranted, and I actually got a $70 partial refund off of Amazon for the SC being an open box (No wonder, eh?) Anyway, after shipping both ways and the upgrade I still won't have lost anything, and I'll get a try on a new card to see how that goes anyway.