Question Evga 980ti hybrid shuts down pc

Jun 15, 2020
Hi my pc suddenly shut down one day, i was hoping it was just the power supply. Voltages at the 24 pin connector were normal. After playing with connections i found that the pc would boot up normally with everything connected except the video card 6 and 8 connectors. I removed the video card and installed it in another pc and i got the same result. With the video card connected the pc will not power up, no fans nothing. Are there any likely components in the video card that would cause this, something i could fix? I've seen videos of people disassembling the video card and putting it in an oven too reset the solder joints. Not sure that would help though, it sounds like this this is shorted internally. Anyways thx.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please post your full system specs - including max/model/wattage of the PSU.

Generally speaking the 24pin ATX 'connector' wouldn't be the problem nor detectable, issues would only present themselves measuring the 12V rail under load (in a lot of cases), or spike when booting - You'd need to be able to measure the load with the GPU in.

The problem could be the GPU, PSU or somewhere else - and without knowing your system specs, it's impossible to estimate.

I've seen videos of people disassembling the video card and putting it in an oven too reset the solder joints.

Don't do this. A residential oven doesn't get anywhere close to hot enough to 'reflow' the solder - the heat may buy you an hour, a day, a week etc - but it doesn't 'fix' the issue.

Jun 15, 2020
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z97X-UD3H
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/17/14 15:41:47 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16268MB RAM
Page File: 6494MB used, 12205MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Memory: Hyper Savage 8gb 240-pin ddr3 memory model HX316C9SR/8
Corsair Certified CP-9020099-NA CX Series CX850M - 850 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Modular ATX Power Supply 2015 Edition

I am on the computer now that had the issue, i have a different video card in it. Gtx960 requiring an 8pin connector and everything is working fine.

Last edited: