EVGA 980ti SC Pwr surge, hard reboot

May 22, 2018
Hi All,

Thankful for any input or suggestions with my issue below, thank you in advance.

I'm having a serious issue with my GPU, a EVGA 980ti SC, which causes power surge reboots.

I bought a new computer 4 months ago, bought everything new expect for the GPU which I bought used. For 3 weeks it ran just fine and then i started getting hard reboots without BSODs.
It varies from game to game, Subnautica kills the comp the quickest. WoT and WoWS killed it in 5mins before GPU cooler reset, now I can run it for an hour.
Titanfall 2 crashed after 10mins before, can run 2 - 3 hours now.
In Total War: Warhammer 2 the card could run for longer in dx12 mode then in dx11, at least from that I experienced.
Have never been able to crash it with stresstests, might be possible if pushed even harder though.
No temp issues that can be detected with software monitoring, when pushed hard in games it goes up to 72C and holds that temp pretty well.
Everything runs just fine until reboot, no stutter, artifacts, screen issues etc.

I have tried a lot of things and I will try to keep it as short as possible.

Clean install of windows, drivers, rollback of drivers
Reset everything in the case. No change
Ran all stresstests I could find. Was never able to crash it this way.
Changed to a more aggressive fan curve in Afterburner (this improved uptime before reboot)
Change to my old 280x. Runs just fine
Tested another PSU. Same issue
Removed GPU cooler and applied new cooling paste, the GPU was well maintained and clean. (Improved uptime a lot)
Replaced thermal pads on backplate. No noticeable improvement
Test ran the card in a friends computer. This gave the power surge detected error

Running low in ideas on what could be tested or done to fix this issue.

Full load Total War: Warhammer 2
af60t5W.gif

Idle load screen Total War: Warhammer 2
Ne7Ih13.gif

Power supply surges error message during test in other computer
9M3gnct.jpg

Thanks everyone!

May 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply!

I see that I forgot to post my specs, you'll find them below but my PSU is a Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold.
Yeah, that is true but I don't want to throw it out before I test everything so I was hoping for tips or ideas of things that I could try before I discard it.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7 GHz 12MB
EVGA 980TI
(2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 Vengeance
2 x 240gb Kingston SSD
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold
ASUS PRIME Z370-A
be quiet! Pure Rock COU cooler

Power supply not likely the issue in your case, if you tested the card in another system and it's not working then, don't see what it could be outside of a bad card. EVGA has a pretty good warranty, did you contact them?

May 22, 2018
I agree, most likely not the PSU, 3 different PSUs has been tested. My new, my old and my friends when we ran in his comp. We do both have ASUS mobos with ASUS power surge protection,that might be throwing false positives? The card did run fine for a couple of weeks though which might rule that out?

Dont think I have any chance for a warranty claim, second hand card and I think it's about 3 years old with no paperwork. So basically now I'm just going through last resorts before going to the funeral home for a 980ti shaped coffin.