EVGA Announces 6 GB GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
sorta almost defeats the entire purpose of purchasing a titan except for the compute capabilities but even so the titan really is marketed more towards a gaming audience so adding 6GB variants of the 780 and its bigger Ti cousin seems a bit unnecessary and may lower titan and even the new titan black sales. Unless you count that all 780 Ti's have locked voltage and little overclocking headroom if none at all then maybe but still I suspect the 780 Ti and titan black to have similar gaming performance on 1440p and maybe even an eyefinity set up.

toddybody

Distinguished
Will definitely be taking advantage of this..."Pricing of the 6 GB GTX 780 cards will start at $550". Bought my 780's for 499.99, at 50.00 each I get an extra 3GB of VRAM? Awesome

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
A total waste of money. This is Nvidia's and EVGA's last ditch effort to make money off of the old Kepler architecture. You are better off waiting for the GTX880 to be released later this year. It will come equipped with the enthusiast version of the Maxwell GPU along with 6 to 8GB of DDR5.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Titans are for budget professionals. For gaming, I would have thought a 6GB 780 Ti
would be more sensible than a 6GB version of the older 780. Someone who wants
more than 3GB is likely to be using multiple displays, 4K, 3D, or some combination,
in which case they're the kind of people who'd probably prefer the best products
available (given the cost of the displays involved). If this was a 6GB 780 Ti, I'd be
recommending it to various people I know for certain CUDA tasks that don't need
64bit fp, but since it's only a 780, one might infer that perhaps 6GB Tis could be in
the pipeline aswell, in which case it makes sense to wait a bit & see.

Ian.

Sep 22, 2013
A total waste of money. This is Nvidia's and EVGA's last ditch effort to make money off of the old Kepler architecture. You are better off waiting for the GTX880 to be released later this year. It will come equipped with the enthusiast version of the Maxwell GPU along with 6 to 8GB of DDR5.

This is 100% rumor and conjecture. As we've seen time and again, just because it's newer has a bigger number doesn't mean it's better. Nvidia hasn't even confirmed the model naming scheme yet, but I'd bet that since it's a brand new die and new generation of chip, they won't stick with GTX8xx, if only because it'd be so similar to the GTX8800, but that's just a guess.

Here's to being in before the "you don't need that much VRAM" comments while people are complain about Titanfall needing 3GB+ to support the high-res textures.

I'm more interested in these newer 780s about 4-6mo's from now when Nvidia *does* have some new stuff out. I'd like to see the prices drop 15-20% and then they'll be awesome for real-time rendering in my newly-installed Unreal Engine :)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I checked, the Titan-Z is two Titans with 6GB each, so not really a 12GB card.

Btw, interesting to note that when the 780Ti was first announced, the PR led
many to believe a 12GB version would indeed be part of the lineup, eg. see:

http://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-announces-gtx-780-ti-12gb-graphics-card/

Whatever the reporters were told at the time, if the info is true then it's very
likely we'll see at least a 6GB 780 Ti at some point.

Ian.

toddybody

Distinguished
Except there is no guarantee youll be getting such a massive jump in VRAM with Maxwell...and most importantly, for those of us who purchased EVGA cards in the last few months, a December release of Maxwell precludes us from "Step Up"

The Great VRAM Money Grab has arrived, again. Best thing to do before dropping prices. I recently had to steer the owner of the last build I did away from such cards as he was gaming on a single 1080p monitor. While standing next to me during part procurement looking at the GTX 780Ti, "this one has more memory and costs more... why don't I get this one???" I was trying to get him a 760 or 770. He ended up with an EVGA 780 3GB.

dovah-chan

Honorable

someone has read a good article

Sep 22, 2013

That's a terrible article. It's full of outdated and misguiding information. The gist of the comments on VRAM are "you don't need it if you don't want to run Ultra". That's hardly sound advice.

3GB of VRAM is probably plenty right now, but I have 4GB in my SLI setup and I can say for certain that the 3GB envelope is quickly being pushed.

The idea that you only "need" the bare-bones power to just barely run a game on high (or a 5-year old game on Ultra) isn't good building advice. Most people don't want to just barely be able to hit 60 or 120FPS; they want it to be a solid, Ultra-quality 60 or 120FPS.

In fact, that article comes to the conclusion that you don't need more than 1GB of VRAM. That's true, if you want to run on med-high settings on 1yr or older games.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It is a waste to put 6GB, on it. 6GB is not needed for 4K, and triple 4K displays needs more than 6GB. They should put a minimum of 8GB, so that SLI and triple SLI setups can be used to drive multiple 4K displays without running into memory bottlenecks issues

I would hardly call that article terrible. People who choose to stay informed may have known a great deal about what was posted. Others, not so much. There was obviously, a lot of time put into that article.

Also, many who initially start off saying they want the best blah blah blah quickly begin back-tracking once they see how expensive their dreams are(the last build I did in the example). I would argue that spending $700.00+ on a GPU for gaming is crazy. The price that you pay to get that extra performance couldn't be justified, rationally. A system at half the cost will get you 75% of that performance. Your better off investing in the core of the rig and updating the GPU(s) every two years or whichever architecture is just behind the latest & greatest, in my opinion.

I've seen what the highest end provides in the builds I do when compared to a rig like mine. It just isn't worth it, if you have a budget. I play BF4 on High settings and have recently tried the Skyrim HD texture pack. Even on my 560Ti, both are beautiful and very playable....48 & 28 FPS respectively, give or take.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
It's amazing how many fools are ready to fork over their money to "upgrade" from a 3GB 780 to a 6GB 780. YOU DON'T NEED THAT MUCH VRAM UNLESS YOU ARE PLAYING SURROUND 4K

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Maybe they're thinking more of those who want large VRAM for modded games at high detal like
Skyrim, rather than someone necessarily using 4K. It'd be ideal for modded Skyrim, but the wrong
card anyway; if I was playing Skyrim and wanted lots of RAM, I'd rather the card was a 780Ti, not
a 780. I don't understand why they've done this to just the older 780, seems like the wrong target to
me, though I suppose two 780 6GB SLI would be cost effective.

Doomtomb, the utility of large RAM is not solely related to display resolution. Heavily modded games
can easily exceed 3GB, Skyrim being a good example (read the Skyrim best-pics thread on OCN). If
one is thus doing both (modded Skyrim @ 4K, even just a single display), then more than 3GB really
does make a lot of sense.

Ian.

Modded-out Skyrim seems to be the only example people cite when furthering their argument about needing more than 2GB of VRAM. How many out there still playing Skyrim? Show of hands? How many actually modding it out??? Even less.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

That's because it's a good example, but not the only one. Plus, what makes you think the hordes of Skyrim
players would necessarily be hanging out here? :D Strange comment IMO. Like I said, check the OCN best-pics
thread, plenty of posters (it's a huge thread); the modding scene is vast.

Ian

Really though, Ian, is there another game but Skyrim?

There's really no argument. From a gaming standpoint, I'm just trying to understand why all of the RAM is necessary at this point in time. I remember back with the 500 series they started releasing 3GB cards and there was really no use for it (standard was 1.5GB/580). Flash forward 2-3 years and it makes sense to have 3GB on the 700 series.

I'm trying to understand what 6GB is for on the 700 series. The larger amounts of RAM on current cards are usually a couple of years before their time. I guess if you won't be upgrading to the newer GPU in a couple of years, it makes sense to get more RAM now? But buying that much RAM for today's games seems excessive and if you spend that much money on your GPU, why not just upgrade when the new GPUs are released. They'll come with the necessary RAM for that point in time on the standard package and provide better processing overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS