EVGA BQ Series 850W PSU Review

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
Also, for $20 more, you can pick up an equivalent gold rated PSU or maybe even a platinum one on sale and after rebates. It is the halcyon days for competition in quality PSUs.

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
@_THEDICTOR_, for $85, there are so many other better options. EVGA could have been more competitive model if they made quieter version. Instead, you get a PSU with fixed cables, low efficiency, high power variances, and noise like a mini-vacuum. While the higher quality capacitors and warranty are nice, the lack of utility does not make this a good value. 3-years ago, this would have been a great PSU, but times have changed. It is a great day to buy a PSU, just not this one.

I would personally like to see more 450-550w PSU reviews, not the cherry picked and delivered 750w+ ones that seem to make the rounds. It is just that most people are only going to need 450-550w PSU's for their 1 dGPU based systems.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
This is not a cherry-picked sample. It comes directly from a store shelf and not from EVGA.

As for more 450-550W PSU reviews, I am currently working on a 500W unit (which however isn't affordable).

So is all of your reviews come from a retail purchase, or are there some delivered from whichever vendor? Just curious, because I remember reading not too long ago that pretty much all of the products had been items that were submitted from whichever vendor. So I'm guessing that 90-95% of reviews come from vendor delivered samples or am I wrong in that assumption? I'm just curious and not trying to be a troll or anything like that. I think it would be beneficial if the viewer knew whether or not the sample was purchased or offered/delivered from said vendor.

Yes I understand that. Aris_MP stated that it came from the Store shelf, so I was trying to get an idea on how many items have been purchased from a Store shelf compared to the ones that the Manufacturer delivers to the reviewer.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
Like in almost all product reviews, PSU samples come directly from the manufacturer, which also provides support in case the product breaks down (something that is very easy to happen in a PSU review). Besides a huge budget buying the products from a store would also mean no support in case the PSU dies, since its warranty is voided the moment I set it on my test bench.

So the units that you get from the Manufacturer could be cherry picked, even though they still cover any/all issues during the review, which is the point that I was trying to make about getting units that aren't always indicative of what a consumer would experience from buying the product. Not saying this is bad, just pointing it out.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
yes they could. But this doesn't mean that every manufacturer does that. Even if you buy samples there is always the possibility for changes in the manufacturing line and the next batch to be worse (or better). So you never know.

Personally I rely on my experience, knowledge and connections to find out not-proper (AKA Golden) samples. There are times that even my readers provide useful tips. E.g. when they do notice a different part in their PSU and report it. This is why I fully break apart every PSU (and all the rest samples in the sites I work for) during a review, a procedure that takes many hours and can be quite hard some times (for instance when you have to fight with Enhance Electronics' huge heatsinks).

Oh I understand your troubles that you have to go through. I think it would be more fair, if the manufacturer would allow you to purchase their product from a retail store of your choice and offer the same support throughout your review period. Of coarse re-reimburse you for the cost of the purchase price. This would show the viewer/reader what kind of experience/product that one would expect if they went out and bought said product. I know it isn't going to happen that way, but I feel that would be the best of both worlds. You (the reviewer) would get the support you need from the manufacturer and the viewer/reader would know that the reviewer had purchased the product locally (if possible) and this would reflect a more realistic review of a retail sample.

I don't get it at all.
While not an inherently bad unit it just seems completely pointless really.
The fsp made gq850 is just better & its the same price.
I can understand evga using hec for the budget orientated b1 series but not 850w modular units that are aimed at higher end users.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea, when they already had the superflower built B2.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

Probably because they are about to discontinue to SF built B2 in favor of this unit