Evga classified 980 ti-- is it worth it to get 1440p 144hz monitor

Jan 14, 2019
So i was recently given this evga 980ti as well as 500 bucks in micro center gift cards.

I have been looking into getting a second monitor for a long time and definitely want to start gaming as well as working in 1440p.

my current setup is as follows: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bRt8jy

cpu is OC to 4.5ghz

Being that I am a novice basically when it comes to this stuff i have a few questions.

Will my current build be able to handle games of the likes of WoW, Fortnite, COD, Overwatch in 1440p and is G-sync really worth the +200-300 tax?!

Will the screen tear constantly without g-sync? I am just a bit confused as to what 144hz actually means. I.e my 980 ti handles Wow at high-max setttings with an average of id say 90-100 fps with 1080p 60hz. Sometimes it evens go up to 180+ fps and sometimes drops to 50 fps in extremely crowded environments (rare but happens).

My goal is to get a 2nd monitor (which would be my main monitor) with these specs. But if this would mean that the games would play horribly with current build and the screen would tear constantly I think i would rather save up for a 2080 Gpu and then wait to get a monitor.

If someone can please help clarify these questions for me i'd really appreciate it. I've done a ton of research and it seems alot of info is either outdated due to the GPu i have and or contradict each other.

thank you in advance

Solution
As a basic example, ~70FPS on a 144Hz panel would be akin to 30ish FPS on a 60Hz panel. Far from gamebreaking

I didn't say it wouldn't tear, just that it's not going to be a constantly tearing mess.

While tearing can occur with any 'out of sync' frame rate (ie a framerate differing from the refresh rate of the panel), it's more common when the GPU is rendering ridiculous numbers of frames ABOVE the refresh rate of the panel...... Not really something you have to worry about at 1440p/144Hz.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Fornite, WoW etc, yes - the 980TI should have no issues at 1440p/144Hz.

As for more demanding titles, the 980TI can still *do* 1440p/144Hz, but you'd probably have to have a play around with in-game settings to see what you can achieve as far as framerates.

No, the screen won't tear constantly without G-Sync.... depending on the framerate.

As for whether G-Sync is "worth it" is a matter of debate. I've never used it, and run 1440p/144Hz without any issues.
BUT, for people who have used it... It's usually comparable to an SSD - ie once you've used one/it, you'd never want to do without.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A 980 TI is on par with a 1070 so 1440p 144hz performance is pretty decent, your not going to run Ultra in everything so expect to adjust the settings. The issue with 900 cards" 960/970/980/980TI" is they will be in full legacy mode in 2020 so last for performance and driver support or fixes and sometimes not at all.

Jan 14, 2019

Hi Barty,

Thanks for the speedy response and information. I guess lastly what I am just confused about is, Lets say any title whether it be wow or a more demanding one at 1440p 144hz for my computer I'm getting an average of 60-70fps. Lets also say i saved a few bucks and did not opt for g-sync. Will the quality of gaming be significantly bad since i cant hit a high enough fps thresh hold for the monitors specs without the help of g-sync? Sorry if the question is redundant, I am just trying to fully understand the 144hz and frames and what not before I spend money on a monitor that will last me for some years to come. You said the screen wont tear depending on the frame rate so just wanted to get somewhat of an idea of what id expect if i did not get a g-sync one.

Thanks again

Jan 14, 2019

Ok that is good to know. I plan on upgrading gpu before then, wanted to basically gage how long this 980ti would be able to last me gaming comfortably for.

Thank yoU!!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As a basic example, ~70FPS on a 144Hz panel would be akin to 30ish FPS on a 60Hz panel. Far from gamebreaking

I didn't say it wouldn't tear, just that it's not going to be a constantly tearing mess.

While tearing can occur with any 'out of sync' frame rate (ie a framerate differing from the refresh rate of the panel), it's more common when the GPU is rendering ridiculous numbers of frames ABOVE the refresh rate of the panel...... Not really something you have to worry about at 1440p/144Hz.

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A few things to consider.

Fast Sync- Use this when your FPS is higher than the refresh rate and you see screen tearing.
G-Sync- Use this when your GPS is lower than the refresh rate and you see screen tearing.

with both under that issue.

Ingame:
Disable V-Sync.
Disable Triple Buffering.

Nvidia Control Panel:
Manage 3D settings> "Game your having issue with">Enable "Fast" under Vertical Sync.

If your still having issue then reduce the refresh rate of your monitor to 75hz.