EVGA Cools GTX 980 With Hybrid Closed-Loop Water Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Not bad. Looks nice. I would love to see one with a reference NVidia cooler.
Unfortunately, this won't happen. It looks like this cooler removes the stock shroud and heatsink, but keeps the plate over the memory and blower fan. The reason a new shroud is needed is because the stock Nvidia cooler doesn't have holes for the pipes, and the metal is a bit difficult to cut for most. Maybe one day we'll see a reference Nvidia card with liquid cooling, although that seems highly unlikely. ;)

op8

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Yeah the reference cooler looks so much better. Don't much like EVGA's own designs, even tho they are my go-to brand.

But is it any faster or quieter than a good air-cooled GTX680 like EVGA's own ACX2.0 models?

If not, then this just adds a major potential for failure with the pump. In fact, does the pump turn off in idle mode? If not, then it can't even be completely silent like other models which can turn the fans off.

vajoiner

Reputable
May 18, 2014
this is actually the same clock as their classified. so for 30-50 bucks less you get a watercooler. dafuq

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Honestly I was waiting for this to happen but too little too late, those that wanted a 980 already have one. What they need to do is release these Hydro GPUs when the cards are first released, not months later when the market is saturated.....

This is the same of getting a 980 with a Corsair H10 and a Asetek AIO. Will be less money perhaps.

Saw this back in January...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kQCtwsvXMQg#t=92

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
With components getting hotter and hotter, or just users that want to have quiet computers i think it would be awesome if they would make a standard for water cooling, having the pipes integrated into the case, you just have to put let`s say .. 2-4 cm of rubber tubing to your GPU/CPU to attach it to the case`s loop that already has a built in radiator and water pump.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power requirements are trending down, not up really. Nvidia consumer flagships:
GTX580 : 244W
GTX680 : 195W
GTX770 : Back up to 230W, but it was an overclocked GTX680
GTX980 : 165W

Upcoming die shrink too.

iUnderclock

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
Nice, but I'll stick with my G10/Kraken X60 combo instead. You'll still have to deal with the loud blower fan.

The fan is only for the vram and other components, the fans can be turned way down and do the job well.

chlamchowder

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
It better be extremely quiet, or it'll make no sense. Existing air coolers have no problem cooling the 980 without being too loud. Water cooling also doesn't make setup any easier (unlike CPUs, where installing big tower coolers can be messy).

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If they did not loosen the stupid voltage limits, then this unit is complete waste of money. The GTX 980 runs cool enough as is, even with overclocked to 1.5GHz
The main thing holding the cards back, is the GPU voltage, which is largely locked (some cards only allow a slight increase, which barely impacts temperatures).

Overall, this GPU better be met with more overclocking options.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
If they did not loosen the stupid voltage limits, then this unit is complete waste of money. The GTX 980 runs cool enough as is, even with overclocked to 1.5GHz
The main thing holding the cards back, is the GPU voltage, which is largely locked (some cards only allow a slight increase, which barely impacts temperatures).

Overall, this GPU better be met with more overclocking options.

I do not think they will raise the hard limit on vcore though with bios hacks you could adjust the softcore limits. Nvidia just doesnt like us playing with vcores.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

Wrong as many users around the internet. GPU temperatures on top range cards have always been above 70°C.

Everybody goes ooh AMD is hot, go Nvidia, then you take a look at GTX780 980 temps and you see temps betwee 70 and 80°C just like my 290. And no matter how you put it, that`s hot!.

Same goes with CPUs, everybody Intel is cooler... well swtiched from FX 8350 to 4790k, and guess what .. the i7 has higher temps in rendering that the FX, i know that here`s a difference about the die and heat gets dissipated better on the FX due to larger size .. but this doesn`t mean that the CPU will not run HOT.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-580-review,8.html 580 Temp
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-17.html 680 temp
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/19 780 Temp
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/21 980 temp

Coolers got better but the cards are just as hot, and AMD should scrap their reference cooler since it`s useless.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Everybody goes ooh AMD is hot, go Nvidia, then you take a look at GTX780 980 temps and you see temps betwee 70 and 80°C just like my 290. And no matter how you put it, that`s hot!."

Not really true---if you remember, the 290x (the direct 980 competitor) when it came out was running ridiculously hot until the custom cooler designs hit the market. I was one of those dumb early adopters who had to suffer with the shrieking vacuum of the overtaxed 290x reference cooler. And even with that noise, it was still in the low 90s in graphics-intesive games--at STOCK speeds.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wasn't discussing temperature, but power consumption. Engineering is all about achieving a goal with the least amount of resources. Lower TDP means a possibly cheaper cooler or smaller form factor. This also decreases the need for power supply cost and chassis cooling.

On the CPU front, you are comparing two different measurement techniques. The temperatures you see are different between AMD and Intel. If your FX8350 is dissipating 125W, that doesn't change regardless of the temperature being measured.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
"Everybody goes ooh AMD is hot, go Nvidia, then you take a look at GTX780 980 temps and you see temps betwee 70 and 80°C just like my 290. And no matter how you put it, that`s hot!."

Not really true---if you remember, the 290x (the direct 980 competitor) when it came out was running ridiculously hot until the custom cooler designs hit the market. I was one of those dumb early adopters who had to suffer with the shrieking vacuum of the overtaxed 290x reference cooler. And even with that noise, it was still in the low 90s in graphics-intesive games--at STOCK speeds.
The 290x was never a GTX980 competitor , it was against 780 / Ti . And it`s only your fault that you got a reference cooler card, same applies to Nvidia though they have better reference coolers but not ideal. I have a 290 oc Vapor-x that is dead silent (never uses more than 40% of it`s fan speed) and i game between 72-75°C in normal days , tops out at 80°C on very hot summer days.

The r9-390 will go against 980, not the 290.

I wasn`t discussing the thermal dissipation (the radiator was hotter on FX than on i7 this is were TDP comes in more heat generated). I was talking about the actual core temperature where the i7 runs at quite high temps, due to lower die size and smaller contact with the cooler. .. and we all know that high temp usually means lower life for the part. Just search 4790k temp problem. I even find it stupid that intel for such a premium CPU like the 4770k and 4790k they used such a low grade thermal paste ....

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Its March, by the time you wait 9 months to get this GPU in Christmas it will be outdated and a different one will be announced with better specs and cooler temps for about the same price. Which is why I said "Those that wanted a 980 already have one"

Status
Not open for further replies.