EVGA Debuts New Line Of 'GQ' 80 PLUS Gold Certified PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Though I am curious why they made it semimodular with the 24-pin ATX power connector. Why not just modular?

Anyways, I'll be interested to see the quality of things. Hopefully they're like the G2 in quality. Prices are almost the same, too.

Edit: From a quick search it seems to be made by FSP instead of Superflower. That's just what I read on pcpartpicker, not verified true yet by my word.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Is the street price expected to drop? I hope so, because I'd be otherwise concerned that they're planning to phase out the G2 series, which is better, fully modular and very close in price.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Annnnd I see that Amazon just dropped the price of the 750 G2 to $99. Damn, I was planning on picking one up after the holidays, but this may force my hand to make an earlier purchase. Now I need to decide who's not going to get a Christmas present to free up the funds... ;)

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
I don't understand why so many people seem to want fully modular PSUs. The ATX connector will always be in use. Why go to the trouble and expense of making it modular? I'd rather see a slightly lower MSRP (and have one less point of failure).

Because it looks nicer.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I don't understand why so many people seem to want fully modular PSUs. The ATX connector will always be in use. Why go to the trouble and expense of making it modular? I'd rather see a slightly lower MSRP (and have one less point of failure).

One of the nice things about the G2 series, among others, is that there are custom color sleeving options available, from both the original manufacturer and from aftermarket vendors, that completely replace the stock PSU cables. If you want the interior of your build to be seen, this can make quite a nice difference. There are options for the non-modular PSUs, of course, but these are merely extensions to the existing cables, which would leave you with additional connection/failure points (if that's really an issue) and would leave you with more cables to tuck somewhere.

What's the point of a modular cable that must be used on every build ? Introduces a failure point, slightly reduced efficiency, added resistance, increased cost. The only time I recommend 100% full modular is when user is going to custom sleeve the cables.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,8016.html

Out of the box perhaps, but more often than not, ya can't see it once installed

You have the same number of failure points.... a modular cable has two, one at each end. An extension has two, one at each end of the extension cable. You do have more cable to tuck away but with an extension you gain the advantage of not having to worry about miswiring when sleeving your own cables. Pinouts differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, even from model to model, and it's easy to messup, especially when multiple wires are using the same pin. The 24 pin cable on my box starts out as two connectors on the PSU side (18 pin + 10 pin) and turns into a single 24 pin on the MoBo side.

As for the custom pre-cables, my son has a G2 1000 and he got a set from CableMod. He got the 1000 cause on that day, the 1000 was cheaper than the 150 but one of my concerns is that CableMod cables are a lot thinner then the manufacturer ones. I didn't strip any to find out why (is wire gauge, sleeving, insulation or a combination thereof thinner ?) but if you use a cable comb for example on CableMod cables, they fall right out.

It would appear one thing they wanted to address was fan noise with this series. The G2 1000 referenced above is in a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe with 13 fans (2 rad, 6 case, 4 GFX card, 1 PSU) and the only thing you can hear is the PSU fan.

EVGA is getting a bit confusing w/ their model numbers.... this has a 5 year warranty and some of the B1's have 10 ? Before reading jonnyguru's article i asked the same question he listed in the conclusion. "Why does this unit exist ?"

My guess is a bit different than JGs.... ya gotta wonder who was underwriting the cost of EVGA's previous models as they were priced way lower than even comparable units from the same OEM ? Was EVGA taking little or no margins to gain market presence ? Was the OEM chipping in looking to secure long term contract w/ a large reseller ? Being able to source very similar models from multiple OEMs perhaps puts them in a better negotiating position .

Status
Not open for further replies.