[SOLVED] EVGA FTW3 Ultra Memory tuned too high?!?

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
I just got this card the other day & for some reason the memory is tuned ridiculously high. Im seeing temps into the 80s on my GDDR6X.
With the case I have...with the amount of fresh air Im pumping into this beast...that is an absurd temperature
How do I turn this down? Doesnt seem like MSIafterburner is working....I turned the frequency bar ALL the way down & Im still sitting at 2,200MHz from 2,375.... Why? Why EVGA?
I would like to tune it down to 1850-1900. Whats the best way to tune memory? Do I have something on in nvidia control panel Im not suppose to or what other route can I take?!?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks <3
brzNr7G.png

EAZiHtf.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Those temperatures are normal and nothing to worry about. Those memory chips can go over 100 C before it becomes a problem if I remember correctly. This also has almost nothing to do with EVGA. All the board partner cards have memory modules running in the 80s+
"The typical recommended operating temperatures ranges between 0C to 95C. The reading materials on Micron's GDDR6X don't reveal the TJ Max for the new memory chips so there's still a bit of mystery to the topic. According to Igor, the general consent is around 120C before the GDDR6X chips suffer damage."
Those temperatures are normal and nothing to worry about. Those memory chips can go over 100 C before it becomes a problem if I remember correctly. This also has almost nothing to do with EVGA. All the board partner cards have memory modules running in the 80s+
"The typical recommended operating temperatures ranges between 0C to 95C. The reading materials on Micron's GDDR6X don't reveal the TJ Max for the new memory chips so there's still a bit of mystery to the topic. According to Igor, the general consent is around 120C before the GDDR6X chips suffer damage."

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Those temperatures are normal and nothing to worry about. Those memory chips can go over 100 C before it becomes a problem if I remember correctly.
TY for the reply! Yeah I read that 80s is normal temps for these chips. Nonetheless Id like to turn my frequency down to normal 3080 type frequency(1800)
I have thermal OCD about hardware & dont need my memory running so high.
So far both EVGA Precision X1 & MSIAfterburner have not let me turn my memory down past 2,200MHz
Any ideas? <3

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
[
That's right, these memory chips heat up to 100 ° C + when mining cryptocurrency, for example

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
The settings for the memory are fixed and can't be adjusted by the user, unlike with core frequency and voltage.
Even if you downclock it, the voltage going to the chips will not change(looks like it's 1.35v).

Is this a 3080 or 3090?
3080.....That has to be a joke...So I have to run my memory at ridiculous speeds & voltage? xD
Sad times

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ridiculous? I'm not sure how to interpret that...
GDDR6 has specs listed for 1.25 and 1.35v chips.

GDDR5 has 1.35, 1.5, and 1.55v...
So it's kind of gone down from GDDR5.

DDR4(system ram) runs 1.2v with no XMP, and between 1.35-1.5v for XMP.

I was curious what the gpu model was, because someone slammed me a few weeks ago that EVGA's FTW3s, not even the 3090s, don't run very hot while mining on them, that they were the best engineered cards out of the bunch.
You're not even talking about mining, and aren't far from 95C memory junction temperature.
I don't know what to make of it, other than you're still within what's considered safe for the card.

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
Ridiculous? I'm not sure how to interpret that...
GDDR6 has specs listed for 1.25 and 1.35v chips.

GDDR5 has 1.35, 1.5, and 1.55v...
So it's kind of gone down from GDDR5.

DDR4(system ram) runs 1.2v with no XMP, and between 1.35-1.5v for XMP.

I was curious what the gpu model was, because someone slammed me a few weeks ago that EVGA's FTW3s, not even the 3090s, don't run very hot while mining on them, that they were the best engineered cards out of the bunch.
You're not even talking about mining, and aren't far from 95C memory junction temperature.
I don't know what to make of it, other than you're still within what's considered safe for the card.
Yeah I shouldnt have mentioned voltage so much. 2,375HMz tho? Isnt that like insane high? Arnt most 3080s memory clocked @ 1,800-1,900? This card is just dumping massive amounts of heat into my case...Its making my eye twitch looking at my HWinfo.... Guess Im going to have to put an old AMD fan from an old heatsink on'er for the time being(Pic below) xD
Did you happen to take the backplate off & put some thermal pads down? Im thinking of buying some & wondering what thickness...if you have one that is
FYM3jPN.jpg

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You mean 19000mhz? Vram reads as quad data rate, not dual like on system ram.

As for the heat thing: this is Nvidia getting bitten changing supplier from TSMC to Samsung. Samsung's 8nm node isn't as power efficient as TSMC's 7nm.
The entire 30 series is lousy in regards to power consumption and performance per watt. I'm not trying to blow off their raw performance.

No, I have not messed with thermal pad replacement. I've seen mixed results with that, like this thread for example: https://forums.evga.com/Thermal-Pad-QA-m3249351.aspx
Post number #11 lists the dimensions for the BP(Back Plate) pads and other, but I think post #5's perspective is critical:
  1. After reading other people's experiences with replacing thermal pads/putty on these cards, I wouldn't do it. Far too many people have seen no thermal improvement and many have actually seen worse thermal performance due to contact pressure issues. Some have spent weeks testing, tweaking, and buying different products just trying to get there temperatures back to what they were stock.
  2. The way pads and thermal paste are thermally characterized is not standardized. The testing temperature is not standardized, and this has a huge impact of the W/mk result. Some are tested at 20c. Some are tested at 60c. The difference in W/mk result is massive when tested at different temperatures. This makes the W/mk comparison useless when making buying choices. Since you can't compare pads based on W/mk, it means you would have to buy a bunch of different ones and compare them by physically testing them. A lot of time and expense for a tiny difference in thermal performance (in the grand scheme of things). Not worth it.

Not to say you can't do anything about it, but opening it up probably isn't a good first step.

Reactions: dotas1

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
You mean 19000mhz? Vram reads as quad data rate, not dual like on system ram.

As for the heat thing: this is Nvidia getting bitten changing supplier from TSMC to Samsung. Samsung's 8nm node isn't as power efficient as TSMC's 7nm.
The entire 30 series is lousy in regards to power consumption and performance per watt. I'm not trying to blow off their raw performance.

No, I have not messed with thermal pad replacement. I've seen mixed results with that, like this thread for example: https://forums.evga.com/Thermal-Pad-QA-m3249351.aspx
Post number #11 lists the dimensions for the BP(Back Plate) pads and other, but I think post #5's perspective is critical:
  1. After reading other people's experiences with replacing thermal pads/putty on these cards, I wouldn't do it. Far too many people have seen no thermal improvement and many have actually seen worse thermal performance due to contact pressure issues. Some have spent weeks testing, tweaking, and buying different products just trying to get there temperatures back to what they were stock.
  2. The way pads and thermal paste are thermally characterized is not standardized. The testing temperature is not standardized, and this has a huge impact of the W/mk result. Some are tested at 20c. Some are tested at 60c. The difference in W/mk result is massive when tested at different temperatures. This makes the W/mk comparison useless when making buying choices. Since you can't compare pads based on W/mk, it means you would have to buy a bunch of different ones and compare them by physically testing them. A lot of time and expense for a tiny difference in thermal performance (in the grand scheme of things). Not worth it.
Not to say you can't do anything about it, but opening it up probably isn't a good first step.
Yeah I wasnt thinking about replacing the putty or even taking the card apart further than the backplate since that can come off without disassembling the card...
I had no idea these things ran so hot...really making me rethink actually wanting it. I got lucky on a shuffle the other day...Only real reason I have it. Im guessing the Strix card runs just as hot? The card I actually wanted..
TY for all your help btw