Question EVGA G2 850w Gold weird sound

psycho1337

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello there!

I've recently got a second hand PSU and it has this weird high frequency, fluctuating and even arching sound when the motherboard cable is connected to either the motherboard or to the jump starter cable cap (the arching sound is barely audible and I didn't even know it existed until I got my microphone close to the PSU, in order to get a good sample of sound). To be more precise, whenever the small connector that goes into the psu is conencted, this sound simply starts. This happens when the PSU is both on or off, it doesn't matter.

Here's a sample of the sound (you might need to download it for the best quality):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzYVmUxonl0_51qY5YkvzxD-11wUeKfq/view?usp=sharing

The first 5 seconds are without that specific motherboard cable part connected.

I've had the motherboard sit inside my case, on a cardboard box, on a wood surface, it always makes this sound, no matter the context. I've purchased different power connectors and even professional extension cords, but the sound is still there. Both me and the seller thought that the cable might the problem, so he offered to send me a spare one but I've gone ahead and ordered a cablemod bundle, just to be sure I get the top quality (it's still on the way).

Has anyone faced this so far?

Lutfij

Titan
Second hand PSU huh? How old is the unit and what did it power while in the older user's hands? The noise you speak of is not healthy, you should return the unit.

On a second note, what is the PSU powering in your end? Specs to your full system would help us two fold.

psycho1337

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello, Lutfij! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Yeah, I know, not the ideal thing to do, but I couldn't afford to wait another couple of months before everything is back on stock. I currently don't have that type of information and I will need to wait until Monday to receive it.

On my end it should and it did power correctly the following setup:
MSI H81M-P33
i7- 4770
16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
GTX 1070
Kingston SSD