[SOLVED] EVGA G5 1000w for a 3090

Adam Jelinek

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
So I bought the evga g5 1000w gold unit and I’m wondering is this okay to pair with a r7 5800x and an msi suprim x 3090? I know 1000watts is more than enough but I just wanted the nice headroom. I think maximum output of my system will probably be like 700 watts maybe? I’m not too sure about wattage and all that. What do you guys think?

Solution
I think it's OK.
Here is the review.
1000 watts is more than you need....but that's OK....you have lots of overhead.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g5-power-supply,6337.html

Here it is in a nutshell

FOR
  • Full power at 47 degrees Celsius
  • Good ripple suppression (up to full load)
  • Tight load regulation
  • Long hold-up time
  • Fully modular
  • Compact dimensions
AGAINST
  • Noisy
  • Increased Vampire Power
  • Poor transient response
  • 18AWG gauges
  • Lower than 70% efficiency with 2% load
  • No Alternative Sleep Mode support
  • Ripple with 110% load
I think it's OK.
Here is the review.
1000 watts is more than you need....but that's OK....you have lots of overhead.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g5-power-supply,6337.html

Here it is in a nutshell

FOR
  • Full power at 47 degrees Celsius
  • Good ripple suppression (up to full load)
  • Tight load regulation
  • Long hold-up time
  • Fully modular
  • Compact dimensions
AGAINST
  • Noisy
  • Increased Vampire Power
  • Poor transient response
  • 18AWG gauges
  • Lower than 70% efficiency with 2% load
  • No Alternative Sleep Mode support
  • Ripple with 110% load

Solution
The RTX3000 series are from what I read very susceptible to poor transient response, it seems to be the main reason people have psu issues with these gpu’s even when they have plenty of headroom. Unfortunately this psu has poor transient response, therefore you may run into issues.

So I bought the evga g5 1000w gold unit and I’m wondering is this okay to pair with a r7 5800x and an msi suprim x 3090? I know 1000watts is more than enough but I just wanted the nice headroom. I think maximum output of my system will probably be like 700 watts maybe? I’m not too sure about wattage and all that. What do you guys think?

"What do you guys think?"

I think you should have come here and asked about it before you bought it so we could point out its faults and recommend a better brand/model. Kind of pointless to ask now.

Reactions: Phaaze88