EVGA GeForce 660 FTW SC edition crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelotes202

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I have a 2-day old EVGA GeForce 660 FTW SC 2GB GPU installed which has replaced the GPU in the build below (all other hardware is the same and has been perfectly functional for 3+ years):

CPU: Core i7-860 Lynnfield
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D LE LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU (old, still works fine): EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
GPU (new, problematic): EVGA 02G-P4-2663-KR GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM: OCZ Platinum 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model
PSU: PC Power and Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I am playing Guild Wars 2. Get in game, it loads up and about 10 seconds and then the picture freezes (even if I don't even move my character one step after log-in) and goes to a black screen (mouse cursor still visible and responsive) for about 10-20 seconds, and then when/if the game comes back up it is locked at 10 frames-per-second and horrible resolution regardless of changing the in-game settings.

I am running EVGA's PrecisionX software on my 2nd monitor and the GPU temp never even reaches 40 degrees Celsius, so I don't think heat is an issue here.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Update EVGA/nVidia drivers.

Driver Sweep all nVidia drivers and reinstall to both the current "beta" version as well as the most current non-"beta" version of drivers.

Update sound drivers.

Update Windows.

Nothing here has been able to fix. I see other issues posted on EVGA and other forums with this series of card.

I'd like to avoid RMA-ing the thing if nothing is wrong with the hardware but so far it's hard to tell.

I'm about to try updating my BIOS to see if that fixes it, will update once I have tried that.

Anyone else having any issues? Also, if I RMA the thing (purchased through Newegg) should I go for a refund or replacement (in other words, do ANY of these series of cards work? Did I just get a bad unit? Or is the whole product line garbage?)

If you have seen these kinds of issues please post how you resolved it.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Updating the BIOS does absolutely nothing to resolve issue.

Zelotes202

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Good point, and excellent question. Also thanks for responding.

The only game I have tried it in yet is GW2, however it has also had driver crashes while just sitting at the desktop and twice just now browsing these forums.

Have decided to just RMA for a refund at this time, might purchase again and hope for better results or just stick with my 275 until the 700 series comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.