EVGA GeForce 9800 GT GPU beeping while playing

Sdarts

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi,

I need some help with a problem:

I just received a new graphics card, EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB, and while using it normally like using Windows Explorer, watching videos and browsing the internet, it runs without a problem.
The problem starts when I try to run a game or an emulator that demands more graphical processing power from the graphics card, then the PSU starts beeping non-stop, for example, if I start playing Assassin's Creed III, the beeping starts and after I just Alt + Tab to the desktop, a couple of seconds later the beeping stops.
I have tried the PCI-E 6Pin power connector that came with the graphics card and both PCI-E 6Pin of the PSU without no luck.
I also don't have another computer or a friend to test the GPU and/or the PSU.
The graphics card is new, got it today, below are my computer specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL/1600
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB
PSU: Seventeam ST-550PNL 550W (Input Voltage: 110-115 VAC / 220-230 VAC; Output Voltage: +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +3.3V +5Vsb)
RAM: 4 GBs (standard Kingston memory)

And here's the link of page of the PSU's manufacter site:
http://www.seventeam.com.tw/product_contentx.php?theme_select=1english&cid=152&pid=638

PS. I believe that the beeping comes from the PSU because that's where the sound comes from, even if relted to the GPU.
To whoever responds, thanks in advance.

JJ1217

Honorable
Two 12V rails, that might be your issue. 18 amps on a one of your 12V rail is pretty terrible, not to mention the fact that the PSU is utter garbage. The PSU is most likely the issue.

A CX430 from Corsair would do you really well.

Sdarts

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I was racking my brains out and was searching for a solution in the internet and in the motherboard's and PSU's manuals since last Tuesday.
I even disabled the motherboard's internal speaker in 4 places, 3 in Windows and 1 on the motherboard itself with no avail.
Then today I realized that the beeping sound was coming from my No-Break and I realized that after installing the graphics card, when it was running under full load, it was consuming much more power than the no-break could handle with all the devices attached to it: the computer, the monitor and the ethernet modem.
So I reaaranged everything, leaving only the computer connected to the no-break and the monitor and the ethernet modem connected directly in another electric socket.
I even found it odd that my PSU couldn't handle it with 550W when nVidia's own GeForce 9800 GT page states that it only needs 400W, so although my PSU is of a brand not very good like Antec or Corsair, it still has 150W more than needed to run the graphics card, it's 12V is equal to 380W, not much, but enough.
Either way, again, thanks for the reply, this was the first time I felt like posting here in Tom's Hardware site, which is, in my humble opinion, the best site for fixing problems, because of the great experts in here.

I do plan on building a new computer around june next year, then I will buy the best components possible and not have to worry about lack of power or processing capacity in any aspect.

To any forum administrator, you can close this topic as "Solved".

Sdarts

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the advice, my plan is to buy the best parts possible to build the best PC possible, I still have to research some components apects and brands, but there's like 7 months till then, so I at least expect new and better GPUs and CPUs by then.
So far it is like this:

2 Graphics Cards: ASUS nVidia Geforce GTX 690 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 [28nm Generation]
Processor: Intel Core i7-3970X Processor Extreme Edition (6 Cores, 15M Cache, 3.50 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme LGA 1155 Z77 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX

Mouse: Razer Ouroboros
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry LXE Touch Screen Fan Controller Panel
Water Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80 - CWCH80

Memory (32 GBs) - still undecided:
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR3 2666MHz Dual Channel or Kingston HyperX H2O DDR3 2133MHz or Corsair CMD16GX3M4A2666C10 16384 MB PC DDR3 2666 MHz or Corsair Dominator® Platinum with Corsair Link Connector — 1.65V 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M4A2800C11)

PS. I aim to be able to use the 4K and even 8K UHD when available, still, I know that this type of configuration won't be fully used most of the time, at least for some 4-5 years, but in a few months I will have the free money and decided to buy the best PC possible so that I don't have to upgrade it for at least 5 years.
Today, only very few GPUs, mostly ATI can use DirectX 11.1 features, and only by emulating it, so unless a new technology like DirectX 12 comes out, has significantly better features, which are decently used, I won't bother upgrading again for at least those 5 years.

JJ1217

Honorable
That CPU and motherboard don't support each other. You want LGA 2011, not LGA 1155. Also, no point getting a H80, when a cooler like the NH D-14 will completely destroy it.

According to Intel's website, the CPU also only supports up to maximum 1600MHz ram.

Make sure the ram is 1.5V as well, 1.65 puts heavy strain on intel CPU's and voids warranty. I know you won't buy this for awhile, and CPU's and GPU's always come out, so yeah.