Question EVGA Geforce GTC 560 -> Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB - and wow it is 50x slower.

Jul 31, 2021
Hello all,

I need some advice. I've been playing Rust on my PC :

Motherboard: ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTC 560 - upgraded to Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
RAM: CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2PK 8GB)
POWERSUPPLY: Corsair HX - 850w

And it was running alright, definitely playable. But I knew a graphics card update would really help me out as the 560 was super old.

So this morning I took the EVGA 560 out and put in Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Used the Geforce Experience app to do a clean install and drivers are up to date.

I got on Rust and it was like 10-15 fps 100% GPU utilization. Weirdly enough after 10 minutes of moving around it began working perfectly.
Trial and Error so far

-Yes, my monitor is DVI cabled into my GPU not my motherboard.
-RAM sticks connected
-Maybe Driver Conflict going from EVGA to Asus?? I didn't uninstall anything I just changed cards and did the clean install.

Can someone help? I'd rather not go back to the 560 but at this point at least I could play.

Any ideas?

____

EDIT: I've been messing around and it seems like for a few moments here and there the game will run flawlessly like I would expect it to. These moments are few and far between though. It doesn't make sense. I would love for it to run perfectly as it does in those moments. However, I would 100% trade back to the 560 for the stability of it. I hope that helps diagnose any issues..

Last edited:
Hello, what other PC games have you tried playing on your new GPU, the GTX 1050 Ti ? Is it only RUST, or even other PC games as well ? There is No driver conflict if using the same vendor GPU which is Nvidia in your case, regardless of the brand (ASUS, EVGA etc.).

Of course, we should always do a clean re-install/update of drivers, but conflict usually arises when you are swapping cards from 2 different vendors, like switching from AMD to Nvidia, and vice versa. Anyways, please also list the exact Model number and make/brand of your current 850 Watts PSU.

Jul 31, 2021
Btw, isn't RUST a CPU-bound PC title, rather than being a more GPU intensive game ?

I'm not sure. I'm still kinda new to all this. It ran better on the 560 which is weird same CPU. Interestingly, after waiting at one point this morning it broke through and ran super smooth. I haven't gotten it to breakthrough since.

Jul 31, 2021
I just put my 560 back in. At least I can play with it.

The only difference between the 560 and the 1050 is the 560 actually plugs into the power source. Im wondering if Ishould just start looking for a card that uses the power supply?

Corsair HX 850W.

Alright, that's a very good PSU ! No worries here.

The only difference between the 560 and the 1050 is the 560 actually plugs into the power source. Im wondering if Ishould just start looking for a card that uses the power supply?

Please can you clarify this issue ? Does your particular GPU model require any external 6-PIN PCI-e cable from the PSU ? Because, if I'm not mistaken, being a dual-slot card, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti does not require any additional power connector, and because of this its power draw is rated at 75 W maximum.

Which one is your GPU from ASUS ? Check this database.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1050-ti.c2885

Jul 31, 2021
That one you linked is mine , except mine looks a little different doesnt say Geforce on it but it says Asus.

Here's the ebay link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194223497081

What I mean by power source connector, in my limited knowledge brain - since my 560 connects to my power supply I feel like I should just order one that actually connects to power supply. Because, as you said, this 1050 doesn't require it. Not that any of that matters I just don't know why it runs like <Mod Edit>. My 560 is back in now and at least I can play.

I just don't see what the issue could be lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2021
I keep getting told that's not the problem. I was kinda grateful I didn't do that. If you're super confident that's what the issue is, I have my 560 back in and I could redo the whole install..

TRENDING THREADS