EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win is a Dual-Fermi Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
That's a great idea. Hoping it sells well despite the fact they messed with SLi.

Wonder if we're to see a 6850x2 or 6950. If priced at $350 I'll be happy with the noise and the power bill.

shaun_shaun

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]It's a Fermi, too bad, that's why they can only use week 460 gpu's. FAIL[/citation]

seriously u know nothing about GPUs !!!!!

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
This is the first nVidia product to get me excited this year.
Sucks that I have a 650w supply tho, which is overkill for 2x6850s, but just not enough for 2x460s.

G

@geok1ng

display ports were suppose to drive the cost of monitors down actually, with DP the screen controller could be offloaded to the card itself, giving the card more acute control over the displayed image and opening the door for controller-less monitors, the slow up take in DP has resulted in no controller-less monitor yet....... seriously if you can afford 4 displays (or 2x30") then i would have though a few DP dongles wouldn't too much a stretch

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]??? It should cost right around what the 6990 costs, more or a little less depending on performance.[/citation]
You are kidding right! 6990 is similar to 6970 crossfire performance, which is way above 460 SLI.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]This is the first nVidia product to get me excited this year.Sucks that I have a 650w supply tho, which is overkill for 2x6850s, but just not enough for 2x460s.[/citation]

My second 6850 should be arriving soon and I'm gonna be cross-firing them on a 650w Corsair PSU. I don't know how "over kill" that is, as far as powering them? I hope it will be enough power; even though they are not as power hungry as the 460's. I've got a lot of other drives in the box and I'm OC'd everything.. We'll see.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
RECOMMENDATION TO THG:

How about including benchmarks for triple-head performance on games that support it.

My situation:
I will likely be upgrading this year. I currently run:
680i (mine has worked fine for over 5-years)
C2D e670
8800GTX

My 8800GTX has a Matrox TH2G digital hooked up.
For what I am aware of, I am looking for that VGA card combo (prefer nVidia) that will allow smooth/high detail across all screens (3840x1024) or higher.

Will some config of the GTX 580 (590?) do this? SLI? I would like to see some metrics on configs (vga card + x58 or sandybridge) that achieve 60fps numbers in triplehead.
I am not interested in 1920x1080 or higher single 4:3 or 16:9 single screen results.

Additionally, results in driver-rendered 3D would be good too.

How about it THG??

I want to see this thing performs with an overclock. The GTX 460 chip is highly overclockable. With stock clocks at 700 mhz, a 25% boost should be expected, given that most GTX 460's can get above 900 mhz.

f-14

Distinguished
something is really nagging me about this fan exhaust set up, i can see how it is supposed to flow air, but my gut is telling me there is something hugely wrong as far as exhausting air, it looks more like it will exhaust air into the fans repeatedly then away from the card.
i do not like the shroud set up at all. i believe the fan system could use alot of work also 3 fans and 2 heat sinks yet 2 fans are mounted directly of the center where the chip is causing a void of dead space air that at best will vortex heat right over the chip. something else is bugging me beyond that with wind sheer from air cavitation.
i am loving the 512 bit bus for 2 gigs of memory! and also the 230gb of bandwidth. this thing mounted with good water cooling should easily be overclockable and rock!

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'd like to see some benchies on this.
It's kind of odd that they released this right before the GTX590 gets released. I mean eVga and Asus are the exclucive US marketers. So they must think there is a fraction of the population with more than one power supply in their case.

G

"2WINNING"? Ok, who hired Charlie Sheen to do their branding? Next up from EVGA, the Tigerblood series of winning cards!

alienzander76

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Holy Jeebus, Let's get out the tape measure guys. I have a GTX460 and it handles whatever I throw at it. We're not at a point where these high end cards are being taxed yet until developers start pushing boundries and they aren't right now. The only thing these cards are good for is benchmark bragging rights.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Slides featuring images of the finalized reference design of the GTX590 have surfaced. This also officially confirms the rumored specs for the card, dual gf110 totaling 1024 SP's, 2x 384-bit memory interfaces, 3GB GDDR5, and measures 11" in length. Clocks are still unknown, but typical load TDP will be around 365W.

For everyone curious about Nvidia's cooling design after the release of the HD6990 here it is...

http://guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-590-features/

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]johnjinglehymersmith_69[/nom]I wonder if they will start scaling quad SLI considering two of these would be like two 5970s but better performing. I sure hope so (overkill is awesome)![/citation]These are dual 460s... 460s cant do more than dual SLI, so SLI-ing this card is a no go.. sorry to break your dreams.

I could imagine this would perform nearly identical to a standard 460SLI config. without the physical hassle of SLI. (four slots)

The reason they are making this from the 460 and not the 560 is because this card has been in the works for a good few months, I remember discussing it on a clan forum a good 4 months ago if not more.

Wish I didn't buy my 460s in January.. could have had this.. Oh well!

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]slothy89[/nom]These are dual 460s... 460s cant do more than dual SLI, so SLI-ing this card is a no go.. sorry to break your dreams.I could imagine this would perform nearly identical to a standard 460SLI config. without the physical hassle of SLI. (four slots)The reason they are making this from the 460 and not the 560 is because this card has been in the works for a good few months, I remember discussing it on a clan forum a good 4 months ago if not more.Wish I didn't buy my 460s in January.. could have had this.. Oh well![/citation]
Actually you CAN quad-SLi this! The only reason you cant quad with the one 460 is there is only one goldfinger. Think about it...if you couldn't SLi this card (2 cards=4GPU's) why would they put the goldfinger at the top?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.