EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win is a Dual-Fermi Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
If the price is $400 or less, it has no dual card performance loss (common with the GTX 295 and HD4870 where they cannot compare to the GTX 280), and it does not suck up more than a GTX 480, then this is a great deal.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Before anybody gets all happy about the SLI connector DONT. Im an active member over at EVGA and they said this card will NOT be able to be quad sli'd. They said after the design they forgot to take the sli connector off and it was too late too.

Galaxy has a dual 460 card coming out on a sexy white pcb and they dont have the connector on it like it shouldnt.

I wanted to stop the post about "OMG can you sli these"? Or "Theres a sli connector so they can add the feture later with a bios update".

Even tho ive said this, im gonna sit back and see how many post come in after mine asking if this does sli.

And this is a whopping 3 days old.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]??? It should cost right around what the 6990 costs, more or a little less depending on performance.[/citation]

Did you read the article. This is 2 460 on a stick not the 590! Its not going to perform anywhere near a 6990 and it wasnt ment to. This will perform exactly like 460's in sli. The price will reflect that sinc you can get 2 460's for 350 bucks if you know where to look. This card will be between 350 and 400 bucks. Cant be anymore. Wont be any less.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]??? It should cost right around what the 6990 costs, more or a little less depending on performance.[/citation]
Dude... this is a custom dual gf104 card by EVGA. It's not the dual gf110 GTX590 slated for release in just over a week. If this is priced similarly to the HD6990, then that's a serious mistake as it definitely won't compete in the same performance segment. I'm guessing if EVGA wants to actually sell any of these they'll price it closer to the $500 price point then the $700.

The idea of a lower end dual GPU card is interesting though. In terms of performance it could sit right between the GTX580 and GTX590/HD6990.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Dude... this is a custom dual gf104 card by EVGA. It's not the dual gf110 GTX590 slated for release in just over a week. If this is priced similarly to the HD6990, then that's a serious mistake as it definitely won't compete in the same performance segment. I'm guessing if EVGA wants to actually sell any of these they'll price it closer to the $500 price point then the $700.The idea of a lower end dual GPU card is interesting though. In terms of performance it could sit right between the GTX580 and GTX590/HD6990.[/citation]

It sits slightly above a 580. Just like sli'd 460's do. But the playing experience will be better with the 580. Im running 460's now and performance is great but Im getting the 590 when it comes out.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Yep. This card is for the win if it goes for around 400$. My only concern is nose and power. I dont think even 2 sli 460 require a 700W PSU. But then, this will be a good card for ppl who want something awesome for less $. This card will surely last a while.

mvalles19

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Bigmac80[/nom]I don't see the reason why anyone would want this card. GTX 560 duel gpu yes but 460 duel gpu seriously?[/citation]

I can see two solid reasons why anybody would want this card.

1. For all those who's MOBO only supports one pci-e 16X slot and want 3D vision surround who can not afford the GTX 590.
2. For people like my buddy who has a silverstone SG07 gaming Rig that will only hold one card. But he would most likely wait on the 590.

This card is geared toward the mainstream gamers, those who want the best but can not afford the best. As you said a duel 560Ti would have been better. But if you look back on when the 560ti was released during CES. This duel card was featured at the Evga booth but had no specs. Most likely it was completed before the 560 in all the 460SLI glory so to profit and compete in the single card triple screen sector mid range pricing why not. IMO, this card will sell better they the 590 just because the mainstream crowd is so much bigger and there will be at least a $200 price difference.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
LOL is it me or does it look like they taped two video cards together and just removed the contacts on the second? What's up with that yellow strip right in the middle?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I would expect this card to fall somewhere inbetween the price of a 570 and 580.

Two 460's perform similar to a GTX 580, very similar, so pricing will have to be LESS than a GTX 580 or else its just not worth the cost.

A dual GPU design inherits more compatibility issues than a single GPU, as such the dual GPU card needs to be cheaper than its closest single chip competitor.

xaed

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
[citation][nom]annisman[/nom]OMG OMG! I've got two of these cards pre-ordered, can anybody say Quad Fermi SLI!!! ; )[/citation]

lol yeah goodluck with that.
[citation][nom]davekozy[/nom]Sweet! I'm getting 4 for Octo SLI. Can it play Crysis 2?[/citation]

... ... ... yeah.. good luck with that too.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]Even tho ive said this, im gonna sit back and see how many post come in after mine asking if this does sli.And this is a whopping 3 days old.[/citation]
u are so right about this. lots of people think "wow quad sli".
anyway, I think that if someone can afford to sli this cards, he can as well go for two gtx580 or two gtx590.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
The idea is good, but could be better:

4x DL-DVI, as in the ASUS 4870x2. There is no way to play a D11x title on multiple 30" without expending a lot in Display port active adapters.

Right now this is the deal breaker for ATI cards: Since the 6850 no ATI card can drive two 30 inches. And not a single one can drive 4 non-display port monitors, like this 460x2.

Displayport is a good adapter gone wrong. Since non-TN panels have all but disappeared from the market, there is no reason to play a price premium for Displayport enabled monitors, while Nvidia continues to offer good cards with DVI and HDMI support.

G

So if most video video cards run 8x/8x in SLI would there be a benefit to using one PCI-E slot (16x) versus two?

G

So if most video video cards run 8x/8x in SLI would there be a benefit to using one PCI-E slot (16x) versus two?

Sorry about the repeated word...doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.