EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI Classified ACX 2.0+ Designed For Extreme Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

That is just the stock OC, the card has a 14+3 Power Phase Design which should allow it to overclock much higher than those other cards and the dual bios is nice to have as a backup. We will just have to wait for a full review to find out how much further it can be pushed.

It looks like it has equal or better clocks out of the box, same as the others with the exception of the anomaly Zotac clocks. With 14 power phases and finally, a back-plate, EVGA appears to be sprinting for the OC title, if you ask me.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Listen, I've been dying to post something regarding the gtx 980 Ti. I just got one from newegg and it's EVGA for 2 weeks now and I have to say, it's not much of a difference from 2x GTX 670 in SLI; We're talking 10-15% increase in fps at best.

Yes granted, if you have the choice always go for single GPU as SLI will always suffer from micro-stuttering but I just don't see how it's worth paying 660-700 US Dollars for such a small increase in performance.

I'm running in 1440p with i7-3770K + ssd and the works and I'm just bummed out that's all (and I have no desire to run 4k anytime soon). I've had this SLI setup since end of 2012 and it's still good as of July 2015. Heck, if you can wait it even longer for the GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti then please do because it's just not worth it in my book.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

I found some old benchmarks and it was a 52% improvement on Battlefield 3 @2560x1440 4xAA.
Gigabyte GTX GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - 118.5 FPS
GTX 670 SLI - 77.8 FPS
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670_SLI/6.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/9.html

To be honest you only have yourself to blame if the performance isn't what you expected from your 980 Ti. There are tons of sites that post FPS benchmarks from lots of different games. Compare these results to your current FPS with the same resolution and settings, if the FPS increase is worth it in your mind then it's worth an upgrade.

thing is look how low clocked all evga 980 ti's are compared to the rest. ''14+3 Power Phase Design '' and don't forget NVidia limitations so I'm sure you would need to risk/ flash a mod bios - 50 phase 3 phase ??? msi is 10 phase , right ? for the same money as said the zotac it ready right out of the box . no tampering and being the for now top evga card I feel its lacking .. then I guess its in the hopes the one you get don't come with elpida memory .. I'm sure the test cards have the Hynix ..

that's all - sorry

I dunno... seems about par for the course, to me. EVGA and MSI models are sold out in your example while the Gigabyte and Zotac linger.

I think people are skeptical(myself included) about Zotac's recent aggressively spec'd releases. Perhaps they are playing a little loose in the longevity department for short term gains? Some people wouldn't mind a card that runs hard, fast and hot for a year until it burns out and then get another. I like my GPU's to last a minimum of 18 months.

this card is meant for water period. the rest of the cards you see many times are hardware limited to something like 1.212v or 1.25v or 1.30v on the core. with a simple modded bios the classified can go all the way up to 1.50v on the core, possibly beyond. yes, out the box clocks are not much different than brand/models. as far as air cooled they can all come close to one another, not counting that an msi lightning or evga classified are binned chips that will generally go another 50-100mhz higher at the same vcore as other chips. combined with the binned chips ability to tolerate much higher than normal vcore you can get amazing overclocks given the right power delivery design. kingpin claims the classified models under water should have no problem getting 1500mhz 24/7 clocks. otherwise there is a reason the lightning and classified have been holding the world records for many many years now. otherwise if all you plan on doing is running the stock air cooler, this card is not for you, unless you get a screaming deal on it. if you plan on waterblocking then this card is on the very short list of cards you should be looking at.

Esemes

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Interesting, so is the GTX 980 TI classified filling the slots of both the Classified AND the K|NGP|N editions?
No, it is not since Kingpin has already "announced" Kingpin edition.

the only real difference between the two are the pcb layout as the kingpin edition has extra spacing for dice/ln2 pots and easy access to re solder non factory parts in . the only reason to get a kingpin card otherwise is for bragging rights or looks.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Pathetic, overvalued, and exactly what I expected. What a waste of $700. I have to give it to EVGA's marketing team though, all the red bubbles/text, "classified," and extra power-phases actually make it look like something special.

You'd think for $700 they'd at least offer a water block, it's what, a ~240W AVERAGE TDP at that overclock? What a joke.

EDIT: Holy shit, people in this thread actually fell for it. Mower power phases doesn't mean more power people. I thought that was a no-brainer.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Pathetic, overvalued, and exactly what I expected. What a waste of $700. I have to give it to EVGA's marketing team though, all the red bubbles/text, "classified," and extra power-phases actually make it look like something special.

You'd think for $700 they'd at least offer a water block, it's what, a ~240W AVERAGE TDP at that overclock? What a joke.

EDIT: Holy shit, people in this thread actually fell for it. Mower power phases doesn't mean more power people. I thought that was a no-brainer.

Yes, but it's about effective power (and heat) MANAGEMENT. This card has serious potential, that's the point.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006

Yes, but it's about effective power (and heat) MANAGEMENT. This card has serious potential, that's the point.
Yeah I'd like to see how it compares to other cards when clocked the same and how it compares to NVIDIA reference clocks as well as at it's EVGA stock settings. The idle/load TDP on this card could be surprising given all the additional power phases not to mention the overclocking potential.

If it is anything like the improvement of EVGA's newer GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ (model 3975) over their regular older SSC ACX (model 2974), this will be something (going to 6+2 power phases from 4+2, improved ACX cooling design). I originally had a single 2974 and then bought a 3975 for SLI. However they would not work in SLI, so I sold the 2974 and bought another 3975. Both temp and power use are down a little, but the biggest plus is the headroom of overclock. I have these cards bumped up 150 on the core and 190 on the memory without touching voltage for an effective stock GTX 980 SLI performance. The 2974 could only do that with voltage (and heat) increases. I can't wait to see what can be squeezed out of this new 980Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ design.

ykki

Honorable
Wait what? How can something use 250% lower power? Wouldn't that go into negative? Let say that Asus' fans consume 10 watts of power. 250% of that is 25w. As EVGA's uses less power then 10w minus 25w is -15w. How is that possible? Is it 25% less power?

EDIT= After reading tom10167's comment I thing EVGA's new catch phrase in a few years could be "Our cards can power your machine!"

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Serious potential?

Uh-huh.

hmmmmm.. looks like I'm not the only one who noticed what I said above ??

'''This is important question... Why EVGA decide to go with inferior clocks to other brands with GTX980Ti cards.
I thought their cards have good clock before I saw others... Classified cards was much faster than Lightening usually.
Now simple ASUS Strix have higher clock than EVGA Classified, and that's not ASUS premium model. Premium will be probably 1250MHz...
It's very bad that ASUS Strix have 120MHz higher clock than Superclocked cards. This cards are much faster than TITAN X.
My personal opinion is that EVGA should launch GTX980Ti Classified ULTRA with 1250MHz or to look people who decide to choose Matrix.
Under waterblock and ugly GIGABYTE is same as EVGA... It's OK absolutely if EVGA launch model with 1250MHz and than Galaxy or some other brand show up with 1270MHz... But it's not nice to Classified be inferior to Strix. Strix if first simple ASUS custom card.
They usually launch two faster model Poseidon and Matrix under ROG name.
CLASSIFIED ULTRA! 1250MHz... Because we can't buy K|NGP|N that graphic card is not made for gaming...
I mean EVGA don't disappoint me, Classified is not Classified if we have every single brand custom card faster than Classified.
I mean I'm gamer who buy cards because higher clock. I think people in EVGA agree with me that they need much faster card than Classified for gamers.''

http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-TI-Classified-m2344369-p7.aspx

^ people usually dont buy classfieds unless they already have a good rad and pump ready for the ek block that they will put on the card. otherwise every out the box gm200 card will hit thermal bottleneck long before the core is starved of voltage, assuming the stock bios voltage limit can be overcome. on top of that it seems only the classified has a truly unlimited core voltage that isn't hardware locked to a certain limit. concerning the strix/matrix, one could assume asus is still using the same old trusty digi+ asp1212 voltage controller on the 980ti as they are used on the 780ti that is hardware locked to a 1.30v(afaik/my memory) and the card will voltage bottleneck long before the core is nearing it frequency limit... hardly a candidate for a world record.

funny all that cash for that card the you got to spend extra for another cooler and hack/ mod bios ?? wow why did they not sell the card ready to crank up ??
I think they know it really a folly ... fools folly - but you will fall fro it and spend on that they see you coming a mile away

then theres the zotac - 1253MHz/1355MHz - out of the box

keep following that evga thread -- ''Classified's are not what they used to be unfortunately''---

heres more to view

http://forums.evga.com/STATEMENT-BY-KINGPIN-THAT-PROVES-900-SERIES-DOES-NOT-SCALE-WITH-VOLTAGE-NO-MATTER-BRAND-m2362059.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/980-Ti-Kingpin-m2342319-p7.aspx

the evga fans realizes this

Status
Not open for further replies.