Question Only one fan spinning on EVGA Geforce RTX 2060 ?

nikita07

Commendable
Mar 26, 2019
So i took my computer out for dusting (including taking the GPU and case fans out to air them out as well ( did not let air duster spin fans). I put it back together and i notice only 1 fan spun on start up. I assumed it was just cause its a light load or maybe programed just to have 1 fan under light loads, so i put on MSI stress test and ran Furmark. Still only 1 fan spinning (maintaining 85c) So i load up FFXIV to see if gaming will get the second fan to spin. Still no luck. My pc is NOT crashing, over heating, or having abnormal FPS (from what i can tell at least in this game)

though i still can not figure out what is causing the second fan not to spin nor how to test if further.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some gpus the fans are daisy chained, so if one fails, you need to replace all of them. Some gpus have seperate headers. You can test the fans by swapping the wires. That'll tell you if it's just a fan fail, connector fell out when you cleaned the gpu or if one fan has failed entirely. You'll not know until you pull off the shroud from the heatsink.

Most likely you'll need some watch repair screwdrivers, size 0 or 00 Phillips.

Reactions: nikita07

nikita07

Commendable
Mar 26, 2019
Some gpus the fans are daisy chained, so if one fails, you need to replace all of them. Some gpus have seperate headers. You can test the fans by swapping the wires. That'll tell you if it's just a fan fail, connector fell out when you cleaned the gpu or if one fan has failed entirely. You'll not know until you pull off the shroud from the heatsink.

Most likely you'll need some watch repair screwdrivers, size 0 or 00 Phillips.

if i'm going to replace one i'll probably just replace both for sure!

@jojesa i'll see if i can check without breaking anything thanks for your replies!

It's possible you damaged the fan, accidently caught the wire leading to it (check that) or dislodged a nice chunk of dust right into the heart of the fan.
I'd be tempted to take it out again, and give it a good eyeball. Feel the fan movement with your hand compared to the other..blow it out again. Put it back in and when the one is spinning, try to manually 'jump start' the faulty fan and see if it has life.