EVGA Gives Nvidia GTX 980, 980 Ti, Titan X Hybrid Graphics Cards Free Facelift

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Always liked EVGA; great products and real people you can actually talk to. They have made mistakes but who hasn't. This story led me to their site. Looks to me like something new is coming as they are really moving out all the GTX 960 4GB variants - couple weeks ago they had 5 SKUs with 4GB and now only 2 and one has a rebate. Looks like they are trying to get the 960 back to mostly 2GB as designed as something will be sliding in between the 970 and 960 that has 4GB. Perhaps that 960Ti that never came?

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
EVGA has usually been my go to for NVIDIA products. Just before I switched to Team Green Sapphire was usually my choice for Radeon. Sapphire still around?

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
EVGA at it once again, why? Because they value their customers.

Yeah thats why they messed up their ACX 2.0, making it even louder than reference design and when the oh so valued customers found out, they just had stupid excuses and no solution.

ACX 2.0 may not be the quietest cooler around, such as the Frozr V or Strix cooler, but it is nearly half as loud at load compared to reference: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/29.html
*Every 10dBA is double the noise

Seems good to me. Obviously from a business perspective, they want to keep their customers satisfied so they buy more EVGA products. next time they go graphics card shopping, "Hey, remember how good EVGA was by giving our card a new design for free? Let's get another EVGA, that was good."

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
The best thing about those that bought the 780ti 2 years ago will now get the best deal when they wait for the pascal card. Those that bought the 980 should ask for a refund.

0MN1P073N7

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I wonder if they'll sell this shroud. I have an evga reference that I'm about to buy the hybrid cooler for. Also, it would be sweet if they sold a backplate for their reference cards.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

You can get this shroud if you buy the reference card seperate and the unit seperate, I did it that way and I already applied for mine, the seperate hybrid unit is included in this one. And they sell reference backplates too 980 ti?

gamersglory

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I'm gonna call a 980 ti X2 or Titan X2 both with dual Maxwell GPU's 980 ti X2 would have 12gb of GDDR5 and Titan X2 24GB of GDDR5

CraigN

Distinguished
I'm gonna call a 980 ti X2 or Titan X2 both with dual Maxwell GPU's 980 ti X2 would have 12gb of GDDR5 and Titan X2 24GB of GDDR5

Probably not..

They may make a 980 Ti dual card, that has "12" GB of GDDR5, and by that I mean each GPU has access to 6, but SLI doesn't "stack" VRAM between GPUs (even on dual GPU cards), so you have two GPUs on one circuit board with access to only 6 GB of VRAM each for a total of 12. GPU 1 can't access the 6 GB belonging to GPU 2, though. (This is how it currently works even on the "12GB" Titan Z)

They definitely won't make a Titan X2 with 24GB of VRAM. Reason being is they already ran out of room on the PCB and had to put some of the VRAM modules on the back for the Titan X to fit 12GB. They simply wouldn't have enough room on the circuit board to double that, AND keep heat manageable (those back VRAM chips get up to 100C)

And, just the same, if it WERE possible, it would be each Titan GPU would have access to 12 GB, not all 24.

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015

ACX 2.0 may not be the quietest cooler around, such as the Frozr V or Strix cooler, but it is nearly half as loud at load compared to reference: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/29.html
*Every 10dBA is double the noise

Sorry, I meant the GTX 970 ACX 2.0. Theres even a huge reddit thread about it.
But yeah, the ACX 2.0 is generally not a very good cooler, not very well thought through. Plus a lot of cards are voltage and power target locked - especially for EVGA quite audacious. EVGA really did a crappy job on Maxwell.

nubbsauce

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I will ALWAYS to go EVGA for my GPUs. For some reason, they have never failed me, and their support is unmatched. Well Antec Support can give them a run for their money, I had a PSU from 09 and wanted to see if it could run a 980 when it first came out, they said no, and they issued an RMA for the new PSU of mine for free...THAT's dedication haha. The new shroud looks way better than the gold and black, now my white and black setup wont look so awkward hahah.

Probably not..

They may make a 980 Ti dual card, that has "12" GB of GDDR5, and by that I mean each GPU has access to 6, but SLI doesn't "stack" VRAM between GPUs (even on dual GPU cards), so you have two GPUs on one circuit board with access to only 6 GB of VRAM each for a total of 12. GPU 1 can't access the 6 GB belonging to GPU 2, though. (This is how it currently works even on the "12GB" Titan Z)

They definitely won't make a Titan X2 with 24GB of VRAM. Reason being is they already ran out of room on the PCB and had to put some of the VRAM modules on the back for the Titan X to fit 12GB. They simply wouldn't have enough room on the circuit board to double that, AND keep heat manageable (those back VRAM chips get up to 100C)

And, just the same, if it WERE possible, it would be each Titan GPU would have access to 12 GB, not all 24.
They could still make a two PCB layout like with the 7950 GX2

CraigN

Distinguished

LOL. Almost forgot about the 7950 GX2. The GX2 was a lot smaller though, and was about the size of a regular two-slot card.

If they pulled a 295X2 and included the a liquid cooler with a dual PCB design, they *might* pull that off. But that seems hilariously niche market, even for Nvidia.

This wouldn't fix any of the inherent SLI issues however, since to my knowledge we still haven't seen anyone utilize stacked VRAM in DX12.

pimpanther

Distinguished
May 14, 2014

except if you have the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (04G-P4-2974-KR)

akahele

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Dude,
Do you even have a graphics card?
As all my gaming motherboards, the GPUs mount upside down. The pretty faces are completely hidden. In fact on my SLI rigs the top card is completely unseen except for the ugly back of the circuit board. The bottom GPU is almost completely hidden except for the side.
This nice cover is totally usless even for looks.
You should have used your column to ask nVidia, EVGA and others to pretty up the backside of the GPUs so they don't look fugly in my beautiful machines.
While I'm on it, my nice top of the line Hero MBz with all their nice lights and colors are completely occluded by my huge BeQuiet fans used on the newest clockable CPUs. This stuff is gettin all dressed up with no where to go. hate to think I'm paying extra for something so usless. Put the $ into performance.

My rig sits on my desk, I see the shroud of my GPU more than the backplate.
Its also not like EVGA just decided to do this, people didnt like the stock hybrid shroud, so they released a replacement.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

It's free, you aren't paying for anything else, it adds leds that light up for appearance purposes that you can see and it has a backplate already...not the circuit board. People whine about the stupidest sh1t sometimes.

pimpanther

Distinguished
May 14, 2014

i hope you were not directing that rant at me? no i do not have one ,i was going to buy one today until i found out they wanted 49 pounds for a backplate 970 gtx .gigabyte g1 here we come.[backplate included.]

Status
Not open for further replies.