Evga gtx 1060 ssc get's as hot as a gtx 1080 sc

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
Im extremly disapointed about my current card a evga gtx 1060 6gb SSC, it get extremly hot.

As hot as a evga gtx 1070, gtx 1080 sc, once had an asus gtx 1070 strix that was extreme cool, it barely reached 60c doing game, idle it was under 40c, my evga gtx 1060 ssc is around 60c with low cpu usage (when im not gaming) meaning it's impossible to keep it at such low temps that the fans doesn't run and the fans run a bit high, 20% even when it can run at 10% and it does it below 60c

54c it runs 13%

Why does the card get so hot, my asus gtx 1070 i once had i could oc to it's limit and it was very cool and surprisingly quiet with 3 fan

Solution
Interesting. It might do that now that Windows actually tracks the GPU. I don't recall that happening in the past. Max performance mode would hit the CPU up to max boost, but I still recall my 580s and 980s still clocking down.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed.

These days they really tune for silence, so they will let the card get hot rather than run the fans. So idle temperatures aren't going to be low, unless you set the fan to run all the time.

Temperature of a GPU is supposed to get hot. The way Nvidia has configured boost settings it will use all the available temperature/power to go as fast as possible. Only way to change that is increase fan speed, increase cooler size/quality, etc. Your larger cards would have probably had vapor chamber coolers. The cheaper 1060 probably just has the copper heat pipes.

Replacing the stock thermal compound might be worth a shot. (And EVGA warranty doesn't care that you do it, as long as you return the card in the same way it was sent to you)

Also with axial cooled cards you will have to get the warm air out of the system and cool air coming in.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting. It might do that now that Windows actually tracks the GPU. I don't recall that happening in the past. Max performance mode would hit the CPU up to max boost, but I still recall my 580s and 980s still clocking down.

Solution

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
Evga gtx 1060 6gb ssc for me is not a good card (mabye i got a bad card?), not the best gtx 1060 6gb.

low usage 45c ish, heavy multitasking 58-60c (fans spinning standard fan curve),gaming 80 ish (fairly quiet, custom fan curve) fans 30% quiet,35 okay, 40% my limited.

Msi gtx 1060 gaming x 6gb low usage under 40c, heavy multitasking i think it's about 45-50c, gaming as i remember 65c.

Fans, gaming about 40%, at 65% (1600rpm) the fans are as quiet as the evga at 35% and gaming more quiet then evga on 30%.

I was affraid of coilwhine since i have had it before with a msi gaming x card, knock on wood, i couldn't hear anything to my surprice, oced it to 1600mhz and 2100mh no noise, no buzzing.

The 2 games i have played so fare i didn't have to lower graphic setting to get the fps that i want (around 90-100fp).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I ran a regular EVGA SC 1080 on air for a while. Max temp was set to 83C, but it still boosted to 2012 Mhz. Not sure I ever bothered with idle or just desktop use, but 45C doesn't seem high to me. Going to be about 30C inside the chassis once everything is normalized I would imagine, so a light load keeping it at 45C and the fans not revving up to much to take care of it.

On the SSC they may have prioritized performance over temperature and noise. MSI just might have the superior cooler. EVGA makes a lot of cards, so they can justify design changes by model. MSI may have just slapped the larger cooler from their 1070/1080 offerings and called it a day.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
evga gtx 1080 sc is better

evga gtx 1060 ssc is not as good, slightly more noisy and also with almost the same fan profile goes up to 80 c ish when gaming.

I didn't bother to test it with standard fan profile gaming since it's already have fans spinning when i only multitask, gaming i don't want to have it run at 40%, at 80 c i had it at 38% with my 1060 6gb ssc 30%.

It does have to be over 40% to keep it around 70c

On the GTX 1070 Ti FTW ULTRA SILENT the fans would run at 35% but wouldn't call it ULTRA SILENT, just not loud.

They should have used a backplate on the higher 1060 6gb and also made a 3 fan version like asus have.

TRENDING THREADS