EVGA GTX 1070 FTW artifacting, screen flashing, blue screen/crashing

Sep 2, 2018
So in april of 2016, I replaced my old MSI GTX 660 with a new EVGA GTX 1070 FTW. It worked fine for 16 months, up until last month. I woke up to a burning smell in my room, and my computer was no longer working with the 1070. I swapped in the 660 for the time being, and was able to get the 1070 RMA'd.

I received the replacement 1070 today and installed it. It worked fine for about 30 minutes before i got some blue box artifacting, and eventually the computer blue screened and crashed. Initially I thought there might be some faulty connection to the motherboard, so I removed the card and ensured the socket was clean. It worked fine upon startup for a bit, until i got the same blue box artifacting and eventual bluescreen. Every attempted startup since then, I get horizontal blue line artifacts and extreme pixelation.

It was extremely hard to read the screen, so i had to go back and forth from my phone to try to figure out what was going on. I figured out my replacement card had the infamous micron vram, but I eventually figured out that the current vbios should not be causing a problem in that regard (GPUZ says that the current bios is 86.04.50.00.72). Video driver is also up to date. I took some pictures with my phone just so I could have a record of what exactly the artifacts look like, but unfortunately any screenshots with text would just not be useful because of how extreme this pixelation is.

Anyway, while my card is known to be problematic, I cant find any problem with it that shouldn't have been already fixed. I received the replacement TODAY, so I find it very hard to believe some kind of damage was caused to the card. Is there a potential fix, or should I just have it RMA'd again?

bibiandbibo

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Have you actually found out the root cause for that burning smell?
What is the brand of PSU you are using and wattage?
Are you using any good quality surge protector or UPS with your PC?

Sep 2, 2018

The burning smell was coming from the 1070 that was RMA'd. I know this because the card smelled burnt when uninstalled from the computer, and because everything works fine when I use my old 660
The PSU is a rosewill capstone 750w
And yeah I have everything connected to a surge protector.

Part of what makes this all so confusing is the fact that my old 1070 worked fine for 16 months straight until a presumed defect made it malfunction. And now the replacement card is essentially identical (with the exception that the old card might have had samsung vram, I have no way of knowing because it was completely inoperable and also now shipped away), but is not working correctly from day 1.

Sep 2, 2018

Unfortunately I dont have another system for that

Also, shouldnt the fact that the first 1070 operated perfectly for over a year suggest that the system is fine?

Sep 2, 2018

the 660 is a 6 pin and the 1070 is a 16 pin

Sep 2, 2018
Im also in contact with EVGA customer support, and they suggested trying another PCI slot. My motherboard has a white SLI slot and a third black slot. Which of these two would be better to try?

In all honesty I still think its a psu issue-the fact that you are moving from a card from a 6 pin to a 2x8 pin card will result in higher power draw. It could very well explain why you are experiencing these issues such as artefacting. The only way to make sure is to test your psu/try a different one or try the card on a different system

Sep 2, 2018

Are you suggesting that the system is underpowered? I just ran a PSU calculator and it should be drawing no more than 500w from a 750w PSU.

Since I dont have another system to test the card in, ill probably go take the PSU and video card to be tested at a computer repair shop.

TRENDING THREADS