EVGA GTX 560 or GTX 560ti

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I am making an all around pc, for gaming, for school work, and plain work
That consists of very minute video editing for youtube videos and other family videos.
Playing games

Here are the two i am between can someone help me make my mind up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604
that is the first one the more expensive one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661
the cheaper one

the only diffrence that i see is the amount of processor cores.. can someone tell me what the difference between the two is.

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Alright so for someone who is planning on playing little video games and not on super high settings, which would you recommend?

exeedorbit

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
If you're not planning on playing everything on enthousiast settings... the 560 is more than enough for you. It can pretty much play everything out today on decent settings.

It also depends on the rest of your PC though, what kind of CPU and ram are you using. What kind of MOBO.

These are both factory overclocked cards. At stock the 560Ti is about 10% faster than the regular 560, usually translating to an extra 3 to 10 FPS for most games. In this case, this 560 has equal clocks to this particular 560Ti so the performance difference between the two is going to be a bit smaller, probably closer to 8%. If you don't intend to overclock your video card further than the factory OC, it probably is not worth the extra 50 bucks (without rebate, extra 30 bucks with rebate) to get the 560Ti. $50 for an extra 8% really isn't worth it unless you plan on playing a lot of Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3, and you absolutely must have as close to maximum settings as possible.

If you do feel like overclocking your card past the factory OC, you probably can squeeze more performance out of the 560Ti, making it a bit more worthwhile, some 560Tis can be OCed to close to GTX 570 levels of performance.

It would help to know which games you intend to play and what resolution you are running. If you are running any resolution below 1080p, it probably isn't worth the extra money for the 560Ti, not unless you are dead set on trying to max out Crysis 2 or a game that is similarly demanding. For most games you would only get a few extra frames, and that will only actually make a noticeable difference in a small handful of titles.

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

For everyone it's a toss up between the i5 and i7 leaning towards the i5 2500k cause its almost the same as i7 2600k as for ram i am getting around 8-12 gb of ram, my screen resolution as of know is 1280x1024 i am most likely going to get a better screen though.. My mobo is going to be http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583 << that
I plan on watching movies in highest quality possible and playing a little bit of MW3 and once i get my pc i might give BF3 a try not sure though. I also play small games like RCT3 sometimes which doesn't really require much, maybe a little combat arms when i get really bored and minecraft every once in a while. But i want a good graphics card incase i ever convert from xbox to pc... if you guys need any more info don't hesitate to ask

Since you don't plan on doing a lot of gaming right now, I'd say get the regular 560. Nothing you listed except for BF3 is going to benefit from having the 560Ti. At 1280x1024, even the regular 560 is overkill, you'd want a 1080p display to show off its true potential. I'd even look at something cheaper if you don't plan to convert away from your console anytime soon. I will say if you want the highest quality video playback, you may want to look at an AMD card, the video playback quality on AMD is said to be slightly better than nvidia.

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

i think i am going to go with the 560 only because its in my budget and about 50 dollars less than the one i originally planned and like i said once all set and done i am about 90% positive that i am going to give BF3 a try. Also i am going to pick up a new monitor as mine is pretty old. Any suggestions on a good yet decently cheap monitor, that this GPU would prove itself?

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Hallowhead,

You are asking some very good questions and getting some good answers. If you plan on trying out BF3 and want to max your settings you might be able to do it on either the 560 or the 560ti now. Now, since you are talking a better monitor, that means to me 1920 x 1080. You will not be able to max out BF3 settings with a 560 or 560ti in that resolution. With that game vram is the bottleneck. If you do go 1920 x 1080 I would consider the 2gb version of the 560ti or the 560ti 448. That card has 1.25gb and is built on the same platform as the 570 and 580. My $0.02 .

TRENDING THREADS