EVGA GTX 570 SC Overheated/burning smell. I don't think it is the core. What could it be? Details inside.

dillinger88

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
23
0
18,510
0
Hi all,

My EVGA GTX 570 SC just blew up on me.

I run 2 of these cards in SLI. The idle temperatures were 45-50 degrees C no problem.

I loaded a game of DOTA2 and my PC immediately shut down. I turned the PC back on and checked the temperatures of my cards. They were around 45-50 degrees again.

I loaded a graphics benching program while monitoring my GPU temperatures with MSI afterburner. The PC immediately shut down again. In the extremely short period of time while the PC was on, the GPU temps did not increase.

I smelt burning this time so I opened my case and checked the graphics card. The rear part of the card, near the power inlets was EXTREMELY hot. However touching the PCB where the core was seemed relatively normal temperature for a GPU that had just been turned off.

This leads me to believe that a part of the card at the rear is overheating, not the core itself. Any ideas what it could be? I too scared to try the card again, as I don't want to break it further.

Are there any tests I should do before I attempt to RMA the card? Would dismantling it to see what has burnt up invalidate my warranty?

I'm fairly miffed at this, but I'm assuming there should be no problems RMAing the card if it has been used completely normally?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards,

Dan
 
Take the offending card out!
A lot of cards put the Voltage Regulators at the back, try turning it over and examining the underside with a magnifying glass, you may see burnt or bubbled areas where the components have overheated.
Check your invoices, it may still be under warranty, if so the solution is obvious: RMA it.
 

dillinger88

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
23
0
18,510
0
Hey gusy, thanks for the responses.

The card has been removed since it burnt out. I can't see any damage/bubbling on the PCB, but it still smells of burning hours later.

The card is still under warranty, EVGA have like 5 years as a minimum which is nice, so an RMA seems like the best option when they get back to me. I have heard there have been issues with the VRM chips on reference GTX570s, those chips are pretty clearly visible when the shroud is removed and don't look damaged. They may have failed and let too much voltage through to other components though I guess.

I did change the thermal paste recently, however temps on the GPU core have been fine, or better than before. Could the fact that I've done this ruin my chances of a successful RMA?

Cheers again,

Dan
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS