EVGA GTX 650 ti on 280W PSU

Tennis97

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi, I am looking at the new EVGA 2 GB GTX 650 ti. I am currently running an over clocked ASUS 7750 1gb. My systems PSU is a 280W PSU, that came with my computer(i bought a brand name computer for the base, and have been upgrading every few months, and i know the PSu should deliver most of its rating, if not all) Will my PSU handle an EVGA GTX 650ti?

from what I've read, the test systems in reviews have much more high end components(that draw more power) and they still don't draw over 300W( or 230 in the TH review). So would a lower end system not strain the PSU?

system:
i5 2300 3.0 GHZ
2Tb HDD
8 GB 1600 mHz RAM
1 case fan

thx :bounce:

I would not spend money on a 650ti if you already have a 7750, it's not much of an upgrade to be worth the money. Spend it on a better power supply and then go up to a 560 or 660 or 670 if you want to move to nVidia or a 6870 for AMD.

You are going from one low end gaming card to a slightly faster low end gaming card, no value there.

I'm sorry but....did you just tell the guy to send his system to its death? cause that is what WILL happen if he uses the BARE MINIMUM is he runs his whole system at FULL LOAD on that OEM stock power supplythat might have A 14A 12V RAIL

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Buy a new power supply. They don't cost that much, and if you are serious about upgrading your system it should have been the 1st thing you upgraded. You shouldn't even be running what you have on that power supply -- you are in risk of burning up the PC.

In my opinion, Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Enermax, are all quality PSU makers.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I dont think its going to fly... at least not for very long.

Here we see a similar system with a gtx650ti pulling 276 at max load. To be safe i would say a very high quality 350 or a regular quality 400 is needed.
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2012/10/msi-geforce-gtx-650-ti-power-edition-1gb-video-card/

Tennis97

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
My thoughts were buying a nw PSU but after seeing a few reviews i was not 100% sure, as a few with more powerful components gave less wattage. So i wanted to make sure

Yea um no not possible. I don't even think thats enough for a 7750... sorry man. You can upgrade your power supply and get a GTX 650 and still be good enough.
My 7750 doesn't even draw 75 watts and i haven't gotten close to maxing my PSU

what PSu would you recommend for under 75$?

450W min

Tennis97

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

i see your point
but i imagine a system with an i73960X, 32 Gb RAM, 3 SSD and 2 HDD would draw more than one with an i5 2600, 8Gb RAM and 1 HDD

bucknutty

Distinguished
Yah your system will draw less. Do you have the exact model of PSU?

The problem with the wattage rating on PSUs is they go by total wattage. Most of the draw from the CPU and GPU is 12 volt. Many times a PSU that is advertised at 250 or 300 watts can only put out 200 watts on the 12 volt rail, then like 50 watts on the 5 volt rail, which does not make sence becuase there is no way to pull 50 watts worth of 5 volt devices.

What that means is for the CPU and GPUs usage the actual PSUs output is actually lower than what it seems to be.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
This is a good affordable option: Corsair Builder CX600 V2 600W ATX (80PLUS BRONZE) Power Supply$37.99 after rebate and Coupon Code: "EMCJNNF22" (Exp 10/10) http://www.techbargains.com/jump.cfm?clkSubId=Y0N8A00317958C213&afsrc=1&id=488&arg=N82E16817139028 (you could get away with the 500w version if you wanted too)

This is a better option: (better quality and modular)
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply ($69)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

Edit: Srry about double posting without looking at your link Stavos! We agree on the cheap option!

twelve25

Distinguished

I said it was 90% load and a real "gamble". That doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation, does it?

You said exactly this " That's a real gamble, but it might work if you have an extremely efficient PSU ."

280 watts is obviously NOT a efficient Power supply. I wouldn't even THINK of trying to run a graphics card on a 280 watt power supply. I don't care what graphics card it is. If the power supply came with the computer from the factory.... more than likely its a power supply made to power ONLY the hardware within the computer at 80-90 load. Not an extra graphics card and a ton of other stuff...

If i were this guy I'd find atleast a 450 or 500 watt power supply that doesn't have a ton of cables to it. Just 1 or 2 PCI express power cables and your fine.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Caclulating the draw is exactly what I do then I compare it to the spec of the PSU... I try to choose the best PSU for the job.

I think the man and his propaganda has sort of tricked us into over spending and over building when it comes to PSUs. If you use a meter and you do the math most times you are only using a fraction of the power you think you are using.

While its not wrong wot calculate. Atleast when you buy the power supply make sure it has an extra 50-70 watts of power so over time when you loose Efficiency. You will still have enough juice to keep rolling

There is nothing wrong with the vendor recommendations for power supply. They give a large amount of headroom so when people install their cards and they don't work, there is no issue with them for giving the "minimum" power it can run on. If they said "well, 50% of the time you can run on a 300 watt psu, if you have only 1 hard-drive, if you have 2 you can run it OK 45% of the time, as long as you only have one DVD player, if you have 2 you need to use a 310 watt PSU", then someone blows up their motherboard and cooks a $300 video card because they went with that and their PSU had a fit, there will be yelling at them for that.

So they say "needs a 500 watt power supply". Those that want to, can do their own math and figure out what they need to run it.

mohit9206

Distinguished
650ti is not recommended for 280
watt psu ..7750 is fine on the other hand..but going from 7750 to 650ti is not fine..minimum upgrade should be 660 non ti or 7850 which again is not recommended on 280 watt. that needs a good 450 watt. so now decide what you wanna do