Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
anyone owns an evga gtx 670 FTW, I heard it runs hotter because it uses a blower type cooler. I live in a tropical Philippines and it's pretty hot in my place, lets say my ambient temperature or the normal room temprature in my place is at 35C, what if i get evga gtx 670 FTW and with a room temperature of 35C, is a bad choice right? maybe the card will get to 95C-100C and that's bad. I wll only use air ccooling with my CM strom stryker case.

Solution
The blower style fan helps when the cards in a low airflow enviroment, but that shouldnt be an issue with your case. Better off with a custom design card.

The Gigabyte model is fairly good, its actually the one I would gpick if I were to get a 670.

The difference in power consumption isnt that much between a 670 and 7950.
Scroll right to the bottom. Also its total system consumption, not just the card.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=550

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Yes, I really don't planning on overclocking, but I do plan buying a factory overclocked. GPU. Guess I need to buy a GPu that it's not a blower type, I'm planning on getting an MSI gtc 670 PE but I've read it some articles that MSI overvolts their GPU, so that's creates more heat, power consumption and a shorter lifespan in GPU. The ASUS DCU II top here in Phillippines, they sell it at highly overpriced because it's popular :(, so my choice on ZOTAC gtx 670 amp edition but it receive a not so good reviews, so my final choice was the gigabye windforce gtx 670. :( . If it's still an ovepriced GPU in Philippines, I think I just gonna get Gtx 660 Ti, I'm doing 1080p games on high- ultra max settings, I like gtx 670 because I read it somewhere that it uses lower power consumption and this is the reason i disregard AMD HD 7950/7970 because of high power consumption.

If there's nothing I can do, I can go with Gtx 660Ti, to bad, I get an gtx 660Ti with a price of Gtx 670 in some other country. :(

chugot9218

Honorable
My Gigabyte GTX 670 stays plenty cool and has a much better cooler design than the EVGA, if you can get the Gigabyte go with that, I haven't heard too many problems with it and as long as you get a good card it should run nice and cool for ya, even with 35c ambient. The ASUS probably has the best cooling but for the price difference it may not be worth it, the Gigabyte should work fine as well.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I have an evga 670ftw and it does get about 30C in my office in summer. The evga 670 ftw blows hot air out of the box, unlike most other "better" cards with custom fans. It has an efficient 680 cooling which is better than the stock 670 and you should be below 85C at all times if you don't further overclock it. Honestly its not worth the extra noise and chance of hanging for the extra 10-15% performance you can get out of these already overclocked 670s.

My fan never goes over 61% which is a bonus as the card stays quiet. I just ran MSI kombustor to push the card to 100% and after ten minutes it goes to 82C and doesn't really go over that. Idling is a silent card and also cool.

The other option you have is the asus 670 directcu ii top which will run cooler on the gpu itself but will contribute a lot more to your system temperature as it blows most of the hot air out into your box. Which in turn will warm up your CPU unless you have a waterblock or very good cooling fans.

I have checked other 670s for noise levels and the FTW seems to be very good in the silence department and so is the ASUS II top.

my results:
0eZjf.gif

Gabor

The blower style fan helps when the cards in a low airflow enviroment, but that shouldnt be an issue with your case. Better off with a custom design card.

The Gigabyte model is fairly good, its actually the one I would gpick if I were to get a 670.

The difference in power consumption isnt that much between a 670 and 7950.
Scroll right to the bottom. Also its total system consumption, not just the card.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=550

Solution

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

ohhh great, there power consumption differe is not that high. So guess I have an option on HD 7950 cards then. Thanks

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

Pretty sure he just converted 35C to 95F, go americans :p, so yeah 95F in a house is pretty dang warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.