EVGA Gtx 670 OC problems

JohnGalt1

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Guys, I'm afraid that I'm in need of your collective knowledge once again.
I started overclocking my EVGA Gtx 670 last week, and everything was going fine. I followed
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide#post_17391118
this build, and separately my GPU core was stable at +190, and memory was stable at +550 after a few runs of Heaven and 3DMark11. When I started to combine them, I got it to pass a few of each run at +181/+540/1.175V/122%power. Looking at other posts though I'm starting to think that my numbers are just out to lunch. But even if I run it at 1.175V/185core/290 mem/122% power, it starts to fail, saying 3D DX11 driver(I think) failed. Then when playing SC2 maxed out, it works perfectly. Until it just sort of fails, and it switches to HD4000 graphics (I think. It goes from 103fps to 20 fps or so). On the precision x graph, it shows that the power and voltage tank to the downside, then power spikes up to 370% for some reason.

For now I think I'm just going to restart the OC process, and go from there. Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

G

Turn down some of the frequencies a bit, and also remember that not every card OC's the same. I would first try to tone things down, and if that helps, then you might need more voltage. But dont overdo the voltage.

EVGA sells some factory overclocked versions. They have selected the best binned chips for this so they can sell them for a higher price.
What is left did not make the grade as suitable for a high overclock.

You already have a fine card. How much value will you get by improving by a few fps?
Is it really worth it?

My take... spend your time enjoying your games.

Sounds like temp throttling what are your temps? Also what is it boosting to? I have found my boosts higher with a lower core overclock and +190 on core is insane I don't think that is normal at least on mine the core acts funny past +100 and I keep it at +80 most of the time and it boosts to 1266 so eh whatever nothing I cant play maxxed out.. I can get my mem to +900 though LOL keep it at 550 like you though.

Thent

JohnGalt1

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I do enjoy my games, but I enjoy tinkering with the overclock just as much. This is my first desktop build so I've spent the last week playing around with the awesomeness of a desktop vs a laptop haha. Its definitely not thermal throttling. My temps only get up to 57c before everything tanks. The GPU clock stays perfectly stable at whatever clock its running at. With the drop in power and voltage, it seems almost like it isn't getting enough power for some reason. I had no problems with overlocking the core alone, or the memory alone, but when I combined them everything started going wonky.