Question EVGA GTX 680 Driver Initialization Issues

Apr 14, 2019
I've been running my 680 for a long time now (I need to upgrade... I know. I will be soon). Anyways, I was facing an issue when playing Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition. It was a dxgi_error_device_removed driectx error that was happening during a direct x call. I believe it was specifically CreateTexture2D. I dug around a bit and thought I'd go ahead and update the 680's drivers to see if that would result in a simple fix.

Well, I updated the drivers to the newest I could find (425.31) everything seemed fine for a bit, but then I started encountering consistent system crashes because of the GPU at random times. After some more time my machine started performing some very strange behavior during the windows 10 boot. During the windows 10 startup, there was a hang, my card's fan speed kicked into full usage, and the display launched into windows using the on board graphics instead of the 680's graphics. The card fans stay at what seems like the maximum rpm the entire time.

Since I had updated the drivers and it seemed like this new issue was happening during the driver initialization step of the windows boot, I rolled back the drivers to what they originally were. I was hoping I could get my machine to perform a clean boot again.

After performing this rollback, I still had the same problem. Machine booted, windows booted, and then the fans on the gpu went ham before the windows log in screen is displayed using the mobo's graphics.

I was pretty lost at this point, so I decided to perform a windows reset to see if that would fix anything. Nope.

I went back to try a different EVGA gtx 680 driver. This time it was version 364.96. Nope, and now I had an even worse situation on my hands.

During the windows boot, instead of the gpu fans kicking to max when the gpu drivers fail to initialize, the whole system restarts. This happens a few times until the windows trouble shooter shows up.

Now being even more lost, I moved on to the next thing that could possibly fix something. I flashed my bios with the most recent version (the version was exactly the same) to see if the behavior would change, but the same thing is still happening. This is where I am at now.

Here are my full specs. It's a bit of a dino.

ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
Corsair CX 600
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 3.40 GHz
Cosair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB
EVGA Geforce GTX 680

A few other things I would like to mention, because I think it could point the blame to the mobo. The on board graphics is riddled with artifacts on the monitor when the 680 isn't used.

When I did a cold boot before today, my machine started, the dram led went red, and then it shut off as if it failed to post. It then tries again without me having to attempt a restart. The dram led goes red, but then it posts successfully and moves onto the windows boot. This still happens, but, as mentioned, the windows boot step is completely borked.

Do I have a fried gpu on my hands? Is it finally time to dig a hole for my old boy? Alternatively, is this a broken mobo? I think I will be doing a full rebuild if either of these is the case, but I have no idea where to go with this at the moment and I'm looking for input from others. I don't have a second machine to swap parts with either. I recently made a large move, so I'm limited on resources.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Apr 29, 2019
Hi, Underdisc.

The cause is very obvious to be overheating, the cause of overheating might be because of the thermal paste, which is very obvious because a 680 is pretty old.

I apologize for my incorrect use of commas and semicolon.