[SOLVED] EVGA GTX 950 SSC thermal paste ?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I bought the 950 back in 2016 and got good use out of it for the FX 6350 GPU it was paired up with. and the games I was playing at the time. Came a point where I began having issues with my system freezing up, and after much testing and hair pulling, I decided to try upgrading the GPU to a GTX 1660 as I was already planning my move to a Ryzen system. The 950 spent some time in other systems and caused those to crash as well. It was then shelved.

I recently became curious about the condition of the card, pulled it down and took it apart. I surprisingly found it was very clean inside, but the thermal paste was hard and had the consistency of dried toothpaste. I cleaned it, applied new paste and put it back together. Whether this solved the problem with the card, I don't know. I may put it in my other system later to see.

My point is: the card is around 5-6 years old with 2 years of use and the rest sitting on a shelf. Is this typical of thermal paste? I can understand that most cards would be replaced by this time and I read some reports that 5 - 10 years would be normal before needing service.

My current build may be with me for some time, considering the current situations right now. Should a person expect to have to do this with a GPU after a few years? CPU as well

Solution
the card is around 5-6 years old with 2 years of use and the rest sitting on a shelf. Is this typical of thermal paste?
Yes. Thermal paste could dry out at some point even at normal use or kept at storage.

My current build may be with me for some time, considering the current situations right now. Should a person expect to have to do this with a GPU after a few years? CPU as well
Yes, sometimes clean install windows could solve this kind of problems, i had a 950, it crashed after the vram is filled in every games, tho i did ddu, furmark, and occt, all passed, but for games it crashed even after redownloading it and reinstalling windows, well i sold it before trying to reflash the gpu bios, i did change the thermal...
the card is around 5-6 years old with 2 years of use and the rest sitting on a shelf. Is this typical of thermal paste?
Yes. Thermal paste could dry out at some point even at normal use or kept at storage.

Yes, sometimes clean install windows could solve this kind of problems, i had a 950, it crashed after the vram is filled in every games, tho i did ddu, furmark, and occt, all passed, but for games it crashed even after redownloading it and reinstalling windows, well i sold it before trying to reflash the gpu bios, i did change the thermal paste tho..

I cant say that a fx 6350 will perform good, but if you wanted to replace the cpu and motherboard, go with an E3 1240 v2 and any gigabyte or asrock motherboard, usually i just pick B75 one since it have all the pcie 3.0 and sata 3 slot for maximizing ssd speed, well if you're lucky to have 2nd pcie slot in the buttom (usually 2 slot after gpu, just enough space between 1st and 2nd pcie slot) you could try using pcie to nvme adaptor and use nvme to boot, i could help you with the bios modding tho..

I am still using e3 1240 v2 since it priced real good compared to i7 3770, and i have the functionality, the power, and the better power consumption compared to my friends pc with fx 8370, he changed 3 mobos because he is doing heavy rendering for 24/7, advised him to go with the xeon cpu + gigabyte b75 mobo, it worked real well, he feel the power decrease is alot, while in 3.6ghz all core it performed the same as his 8370 @4.5ghz, and the system is really cool and responsive (well you know the FX issues0.

BTW what's the current full pc specs in details?

Solution