Evga Gtx 960 FTW 4gb Memory clock drops automatically

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Well i bought this card recently and it worked fine it seemed for the last few weeks. Now it seems after a short time playing any game on low or high settings, the memory clock will decrease from 3500mhz stock to 3000mhz and lock, usually its changing as demanded. It shows in precision x, msi ab and gpuz the drop and my frames are cut by up to 20 fps and become jittery. it doesnt affect the gpu core speed as i can move that and everything else after it locks the memory clock.

This is all reset when i resart and everything wroks fine until it again happens playing a game

I havent overclocked this card as of yet i was just using said programs for monitoring during games and this is what i had noticed. the fans work very well too so heat remains quite low at all times.

Pc specs:
i5 2500k -3.8ghz
16gb ram
Evga GTX 960 FTW 4gb 04G-P4-3968-KR
600w Diablotek ps

Solution
The maximum a 960 will pull is typically 150W (12.5A), 100 under most gaming loads. A 600W PSU should be handling it alright.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-9.html

Now whether or not that PSU can provide a steady power load is another matter entirely - one that probably deserves some investigation. Diablotek makes notoriously terrible power supplies.

Buy something in Tier 1/2 of this list. The Seasonic S12II or XFX 550W are a good bet. You really only need 500W for that setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

bailojustin

Distinguished
A big possibility is the power consumption, when playing games you are most likely maxing your GPU and your CPU, your CPU uses 10amps peak power from that 12v rail, your PSU is a single rail PSU aswell, so that means you are left with 30 amps to power your card, but this is where it gets tricky, Since its a single rail PSU, they actually just split the 12v rail to supply power all around, It comes with 2 (6 pins) and 2 (6+2(8pin)) Connectors, so you have to look at it as your are splitting that 3 ways, 1 8 pin connector is going to your CPU, thats 10 amps, and since they split the 12v rail your going to have 20 amps on one, and 20 amps on the other, since they CPU is using 10 amps that leaves only 10 amps left on that rail, if your card requires 1 plug(WHich it does 8 pin) then sure you have the other 20 amp rail that you plug in the gpu, that means your GPU is only going to be able to get 20 amps plus the 10 amps left over from the CPU rail, for a total of 30 amps. The card itself not overclock has a max draw of 475W, more then 30 amps, So if you end up in a situation that your maxing your GPU and CPU, your PSU will faill to provide enough energy to all your components causing lag, stutters, shutdowns, and no display issues.

The maximum a 960 will pull is typically 150W (12.5A), 100 under most gaming loads. A 600W PSU should be handling it alright.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-9.html

Now whether or not that PSU can provide a steady power load is another matter entirely - one that probably deserves some investigation. Diablotek makes notoriously terrible power supplies.

Buy something in Tier 1/2 of this list. The Seasonic S12II or XFX 550W are a good bet. You really only need 500W for that setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Solution

bailojustin

Distinguished

Question, Do you know if the card requires 2 power connectors? if so wouldnt that mean that 1 8 or 6 pin is 12.5 amps and the other is 12.5amps

8-pin, 400W minimum PSU.

PSUs don't limit or split power because of the draw on one component like you're saying. If there is say, 30A available on a 12V rail, that can be split between any set of devices up to 30A combined.

The benefit of dual-rail PSUs is simply voltage stability - a CPU or graphics card can suddenly demand much more power than it was previously using, and this can cause voltage droop to other components on the same rail before the PSU can correct for it.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

That isnt how the power delivery works at all.

If its a single rail then the whole amperage is available to be distributed where needed.

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

The ps being faulty makes sence it is 5 years old, I had forgottem my msi board has oc genie activated and was boosting to 4.5ghz, I turned that off and capped it at 3.5 and turned the gpu to reference specs and gained some stabilty for awhile but it still locks up the memory core.

My concerns now are being able to oc my rig as much as i can and not run into this problem again, Should i be if im considering a 600w or less replacement ps or should i go up more? and how much?

550-650W is more than enough headroom for an OC with that card/CPU. My power-hungry OC'ed FX-8320 + GTX 970 use under 400W from the outlet with both under a full load.

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

Alright I appreciate your help this was driving me insane, i noticed now that gpuz is saying limited by reliability voltage lol.
so time to price hunt