Evga GTX 960 running with PNY 1050 TI?

ian.broxmeyer

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
My local Best Buy has the pny gtx 1050 on sale, and I want to know if it would improve my gameplay and graphics vs the gtx 960? I was planning on using the pny to run games and the 960 to drive the monitors. Would this work for my 1080p dual monitor setup?

Both cards are 4gb

Thanks

Solution
You can't do what you say you're going to do. Multiple cards only work like that in SLI, which is obviously incompatible. You could use the 960/1050 as a separate PhysX renderer but the performance difference will be so minimal and will probably actually hinder your performance that it's not really worth it. Either way, for practical uses you can't just set up the displays to one card and games on another, they kinda have to be under the same housing.

In terms of pure performance the 960 is probably better: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-Nvidia-GTX-960/3650vs3165 So you might want to roll with that. Trying to do what you're wanting to do is going to cause too many complications for it to be worth it.

EDIT...

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
You can't do what you say you're going to do. Multiple cards only work like that in SLI, which is obviously incompatible. You could use the 960/1050 as a separate PhysX renderer but the performance difference will be so minimal and will probably actually hinder your performance that it's not really worth it. Either way, for practical uses you can't just set up the displays to one card and games on another, they kinda have to be under the same housing.

In terms of pure performance the 960 is probably better: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-Nvidia-GTX-960/3650vs3165 So you might want to roll with that. Trying to do what you're wanting to do is going to cause too many complications for it to be worth it.

EDIT: It's always more worth it to get as much power as you want into one card as to avoid complications and compatibility issues. With separate PhysX renderers, there are almost no supported games and it almost always causes minimal difference or actually hinders performance.

Solution