EVGA GTX 980ti HYBRID vs KFA2 GTX 1070 EX

srhnd

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Dear forum fellows,

I have a question which you probably came across before but since I googled the very specific question I did not find many satisfactory answers. So here it goes:

There are 2 PCs at home, 1 for my fiancee and 1 for me. We are both gamers and play almost every game from FPS, RPG, Strategy to Adventure and etc.

My PC has:
i5 2500k @4.2 Ghz
inno3D GTX 1070 X4 Chill @2100 core and @8400 mem
8GB 1600 Mhz Kingston Hyperx Blu RAM
SSD (840 EVO)
etc.

Her PC has:
i5 3570k @4.2 Ghz
MSI Gaming 4G 970 @1581 core and @8100 mem
8GB 1600 Mhz Kingston Hyperx Blu RAM
SSD (840 EVO)
etc.

Now, the idea here is to change the GTX 970 to either:

GTX 1070 KFA2 EX (the cheapest edition out there)
http://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/10-series/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1070-ex.html

OR

GTX 980Ti EVGA HYBRID
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1996-KR

Please note that these are exactly the same price where I live (difference is like 1 USD only).
I am also a tech-geek user who loves tinkering so I will most definitely OC the new card to maximum limits and if possible custom BIOS etc (not sure possible with Geforce 10xx series yet but it is for 980ti).

Now, considering all of these, which one would you suggest and why?
I really need good and detailed answer because although they may not cost an arm in your country, they do in mine and it will be a long-term investment.

BTW, I saw that although very slightly, 980ti leads in VR benchmarks.

Other inputs that cause conflict for me:
980ti may have less support as NVIDIA infamously cuts support on older series
980ti has on average 100 Watts per hour more power cost
1070 kfa2 is not really the best one out there, thermals can limit overclocking
980ti has more ROPs and TMUs and CUDA cores (may be better for video rendering, editing and some other stuff??)
1070 stock beats 980ti stock already by 5-10 frames across different games.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
man if you don't use older os's like xp or need native analog support on the card I wiuld wait on the 1070 or 1080 hybrid from evga seeing your interested in the 980 ti hybrid the 10 series hybrid is based on the FTW pcb instead of reference pcb as the 900's are so that's a plus in its self i'll assume

all I can speak for is my 980 ti I'm good with it does all I want but that's no guarantee the one you get will do that same for you

all you can do is make a choice on a card go for it and figures crossed ''luck of the draw'' was on your side with it .. it will work as you expect it to or it don't , that's with any one or thing .

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-10-Series-f103.aspx
I'd go with the 1070 tbh
better at stock, better dx12 support, newer technology
also I don't know where you live but in my country you get an EVGA/Gigabyte 1070 for only 30 bucks more...

also, out of poor interest, how's the iChill X4? I was planing on getting this beauty but the Phoenix GS just dropped too far in price (while the iChill didn't) but I was wondering how satisfying the card is

srhnd

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

I still can't decide as although they are same price and I know the pros you mention. Here the inno3D version which I bought is like 90 USD more than 980ti EVGA Hybrid.

inno3d iChill x4 is an undiscovered gem. I am pretty sure it beats most other custom cards if not all.
Running it stable at the clocks I mentioned (easily overclocked with only power increase of 19%).
With these clocks I get MAX of 60 C temps even after like 8 hours of marathon playing, be it Rise of Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1 open Beta, Guild Wars 2, Fully modded Skyrim etc. all full maxed out at 2560x1440.
And this is in the middle of the summer when it is 35/28 C day/night humidity near 50+% with no air conditioner and in a HAF 922 case with a 20mm big fan on top.

yeah the iChill x4 is a bit more expensive (that's why I went with the Gainward Phoenix GS, stays cool, stays silent and was 50€ cheaper)
but I figured it's a gem. I was anxious to see what this 4th fan would do and if it was worth it

if it's for future proofing, I don't think the GT 900 series will be supported as long as the GT 1000 series by game and software developers. you might want to take that into consideration.

maybe best off going with the latest card if the support the 10 series don't offer over the 900's do . I went with a hybrid 980ti cause it had better support for my needs for the next few more years ..

if it was not for that I would of went for the 1080 or something -- I do got to admit I like the hybrid over air [22-48c form air 65c+] nice

if you donrt have any hardware or software limitations as I do right now then the latest card may be for the best

good luck

srhnd

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

What are you using the 980ti for?

And are you using it OCed? If yes, what are the clocks you achieve?

http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=e4de890a-3b64-4b7d-9c61-91fb26e0396a

http://i.imgur.com/BLA7QfW.jpg

same test at stock was like 13925 ??

that's bumped up to 1395mhz and some on the memory just don't recall to what over stock ?? [boost was stock at 1355 MHz out of the box ]

thing is I just have a few needs today that the 10 series did not cover no big deals like native analog support for my older monitors [I got newere ones as well ] and xp support [900 does work under xp with driver 355 or something ] 10 series will not

I just got some needs to cover but like I said in a few years they will be gone anyway its all just personal needs and preference right now

that screen shot above you got to look to see if the 980ti card they used was a stock reference card they do that to pad the results to make the reviewed card look better [take them reviews with a grain of salt ]

one thing I would look in to is using these newer cards on that old sandy platform they can be ''funny'' like z68 boards and 900 cards did not work too well for some ?? and you can assum the 10 series aint much better on them . main thing is to be sure your motherboard has a updated enough bios to support these newer cards

srhnd

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I guess z77 is fine since I did not have any problems. Yes, in that screenshot the 980ti is stock but so is the 1070 I highlighted. If we were to say these cards perform the same, isn't it only upto the better cooling system and power efficiency to decide? This is of course in a world where NVIDIA does not intentionally nerf the 980ti.

they perform ~same in dx11
dx12 support with Pascal was a major leap forward though compared to the 900sersies if I recall correctly

srhnd

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

So, even if it is best GTX 980ti (in terms of thermal) vs the cheapest 1070 possible to find, you suggest buying this KFA2 1070 EX?

man if you don't use older os's like xp or need native analog support on the card I wiuld wait on the 1070 or 1080 hybrid from evga seeing your interested in the 980 ti hybrid the 10 series hybrid is based on the FTW pcb instead of reference pcb as the 900's are so that's a plus in its self i'll assume

all I can speak for is my 980 ti I'm good with it does all I want but that's no guarantee the one you get will do that same for you

all you can do is make a choice on a card go for it and figures crossed ''luck of the draw'' was on your side with it .. it will work as you expect it to or it don't , that's with any one or thing .

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-10-Series-f103.aspx

Solution