EVGA Introduces New G3 Power Supply Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm curious, why are cable capacitors considered a bad thing?

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
because you cannot change cables easily or mod them and on top of that they make the cables bulkier and more difficult to route. Personally I hate caps on cables. I prefer them to be on the main PCB instead.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Which end of the cable are the caps at? Because if they're at the peripheral end (rather than the PSU end), I don't think caps on the PCB would do quite the same thing, i.e. decouple a given peripheral from the rest of the components drawing power from that rail.

The cable capacitors are always at the ends of the cable, and the downside is they make them bulky (really, that's it). But you can still get custom cables without the capacitors, that just means higher ripple, and in the case of the G3 power supply that may mean 20mv of ripple versus 10mv of ripple - nothing to break a sweat over. As can be seen, jonnyguru has a review of the 1000W G3 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=494 and has jaw-dropping performance especially for a 1000W PSU in such compact dimensions.

The only real reason the G3 uses these cable capacitors seems to be the sparking competition in the PSU world to make just the best PSU. That means the lowest possible ripple. The 1000 G3 has incredibly low ripple but Seasonic's Prime Titanium does not use inline cable capacitors and is very close in terms of ripple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS