News EVGA Joins Team Red, Teases First Ever AMD Motherboard

logainofhades

Titan
XFX was one of the most reputable AIBs when they started making AMD cards and NVIDIA was willing to dump them.

Besides that, NVIDIA still has a handful of other AIBs that are exclusive to them.

Zotac is about the only one that comes to mind, for the US market, that is solely Nvidia. Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte sell both. Evga I am quite sure outsells all of them.

Reactions: artk2219
nVidia might stop selling them chips if they do. That's what happened to XFX.

it depends on what kind of contract they had with nvidia when they agree to do the partnership. some well known brand like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI end up selling both AMD and nvidia GPU. and those still considered as nvidia tier 1 partner much like EVGA. and with XFX nvidia did not stop selling chips with them outright. i think it might be XFX decision to completely cut ties with nvidia.

With how Nvidia angers their AIB's, they might not care.

it was the opposite actually. some partners might not like what nvidia did but majority if not all of them would rather agree with nvidia terms rather than unable to sell nvidia GPU at all. what happen to XFX should be a clear indication why they need nvidia business when it comes to selling discrete GPU.

Yea Galax and Palit have 0 US presence, and the US is one of the largest markets, if not the largest, gaming PC wise. Also the bad PR, if Nvidia tried to stop EVGA from making AMD graphics cards, would be terrible.

rather than nvidia the biggest resistance for EVGA to make GPU for AMD will be coming from AMD existing AIB.

With how Nvidia angers their AIB's, they might not care. Also, I don't see Nvidia abandoning what is probably their biggest AIB partner, sales wise.

I would say EVGA is seeing the writing on the wall. AMD is back in both departments and may lead the next generation graphics with RDNA3.

NVIDIA's influence is waning.

But this could also be a ploy to get better contract prices with NVIDIA.

Competition is a good thing.

XFX was one of the most reputable AIBs when they started making AMD cards and NVIDIA was willing to dump them.

Besides that, NVIDIA still has a handful of other AIBs that are exclusive to them.

Here in the states, that would qualify under Anti-Trust if someone wanted to make a stink about it. You aren't allowed to threaten to cut off supply if you purchase from a competitor.

This is why Intel was hauled into court when they tried the same thing with Dell against AMD. And they had to pay a hefty fine.

Side note: Based on Intels burn rate, unless they get their tail in gear and get a competitive processor out, they will be overtaken by AMD by 2024/2025. Adored's latest analysis based on their roadmap doesn't sound good. They need to dump that freaking 10nm and put everything they have in 7nm

Last edited:
it depends on what kind of contract they had with nvidia when they agree to do the partnership. some well known brand like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI end up selling both AMD and nvidia GPU. and those still considered as nvidia tier 1 partner much like EVGA. and with XFX nvidia did not stop selling chips with them outright. i think it might be XFX decision to completely cut ties with nvidia.

it was the opposite actually. some partners might not like what nvidia did but majority if not all of them would rather agree with nvidia terms rather than unable to sell nvidia GPU at all. what happen to XFX should be a clear indication why they need nvidia business when it comes to selling discrete GPU.

rather than nvidia the biggest resistance for EVGA to make GPU for AMD will be coming from AMD existing AIB.

Okay so tell me what are NVIDIA's options if EVGA goes AMD? They don't have any more Exclusive US Presence so anybody else they pick will be a AMD brand partner too.

This all smells of a ploy to get better pricing. AIB's haven't been happy with NVIDIA's pricing on this gen claiming the BOM was way too low. Well there is evidence of this, there's also clear evidence with their MSRP pricing they are also being greedy when possible. With graphics cards crashing in price, they may looking for a way to keep higher margins.

Here in the states, that would qualify under Anti-Trust if someone wanted to make a stink about it. You aren't allowed to threaten to cut off supply if you purchase from a competitor.
So either XFX was dumb for not doing this, dumb for being mad about it and willingly agreed to spite NVIDIA, or there's something more to this that we don't know because law isn't easy to understand.

So either XFX was dumb for not doing this, dumb for being mad about it and willingly agreed to spite NVIDIA, or there's something more to this that we don't know because law isn't easy to understand.
It's not always about "doing the right thing" with the law: look at AMD and Intel; AMD accepted money instead of following through with the case so now they can't sue Intel again (over the same reason) and can't divulge the contents of the settlement. Also, I don't think XFX had enough resources to fight a court battle against nVidia and, on the other hand, I wouldn't underestimate exec's egos. Look at Apple and Samsung, for instance.

As you mention, there's several shades of gray hiding in the background and we can only but speculate.

Regards.

You might want to correct your article title. EVGA made AM2 socket boards for AMD and quite popular they were.
Correction, this is not the first AMD motherboard EVGA has made. They did have one during A64 days using Nforce chipset.
1st ever? I guess all those 939 nforce mobos I must have imagined.
If you read the article:
"Some might argue that EVGA has made motherboards for AMD processors in the past, such as the EVGA nForce 730a. Technically, they weren't AMD motherboards per say since they utilized Nvidia's chipsets. "

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
If you read the article:
"Some might argue that EVGA has made motherboards for AMD processors in the past, such as the EVGA nForce 730a. Technically, they weren't AMD motherboards per say since they utilized Nvidia's chipsets. "

Then the title should put AMD Chipset motherboard. Because when pple say AMD or Intel motherboard, 99.99% of the people will understand it as a motherboard that accepts AMD or Intel processors. Not what chipset it uses...

Back then when VIA makes chipsets for Intel and AMD, pple don't call it a VIA mainboard, its still Intel or AMD mainboard. Even during athlon days when both VIA and nvidia made chipsets, nobody calls them VIA or Nvidia mainboard.

If you want to go back even earlier to 286-486 days when chipsets are done mostly by Opti. Nobody calls them opti mianboards too...

Btw, B450/B550 is designed by Asmedia, not AMD. So does it make them Asmedia mainboard?

Okay so tell me what are NVIDIA's options if EVGA goes AMD? They don't have any more Exclusive US Presence so anybody else they pick will be a AMD brand partner too.

This all smells of a ploy to get better pricing. AIB's haven't been happy with NVIDIA's pricing on this gen claiming the BOM was way too low. Well there is evidence of this, there's also clear evidence with their MSRP pricing they are also being greedy when possible. With graphics cards crashing in price, they may looking for a way to keep higher margins.

Nvidia can always look for others that wiling to be their exclusive partner. I don't think nvidia had too much issue on that front. The thing with nvidia is some partners might not like what they did but their brand recognition in gpu space is quite formidable which help a lot with sales. In some sense it was like doing business with apple where you might end up being screwed in the end although i think the situation is not as extreme as apple and their partners.

XFX at some point probably regret what they did back in 2008 (although i can understand why they did it) I still remember when they were nvidia exclusive partner they were regarded as one of nvidia best AIB that rivalling even the likes of EVGA. Now they are AMD exclusive partner did people see them on the same light as AMD top exclusive partner such as Sapphire? In fact at some point XFX end up in financial trouble.

So for EVGA they need to be careful to not let what happen to XFX will happen to them if they decided to start selling AMD GPU. remember XFX was quite brave making the decision to go with AMD back then when AMD becoming stronger competition to nvidia starting with their 4k series before. In fact with 5k series AMD really put the hurt on nvidia when in Q2 2010 they had more market share than nvidia in dGPU market according to Mercury Research data. But then nvidia start fighting tooth and nail to regain their dominance and we know how does it end and how it affect XFX afterward. If EVGA want to sell AMD GPU at least they need to make a deal with nvidia in a way selling AMD GPU will not going to drop their status as nvidia tier 1 partner. Also even if EVGA did start selling AMD GPU they will be met with AMD existing partner as an obstacle. Partners like Sapphire probably will not let EVGA to be AMD 1st tier partner just like that and rival their position.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Back then when VIA makes chipsets for Intel and AMD, pple don't call it a VIA mainboard, its still Intel or AMD mainboard. Even during athlon days when both VIA and nvidia made chipsets, nobody calls them VIA or Nvidia mainboard.
They would call the board by the chipset (Nforce2 board) or possibly the socket/slot and chipset maker (VIA socket 7 board) which is same thing we do now. If someone asks you what kind of motherboard you have now, you wouldn't say Intel or AMD. You'd say you have an X570 motherboard or Z490 motherboard.