EVGA Lifts Cover From X79 E779 Classified Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Yargnit[/nom]Only 4 RAM slots? I'd have expected 8 on the classified with it being quad channel and their top board. Otherwise looks awesome.[/citation]

Well I can live with the 4 ram slots if those ram slots support 8GB sticks (32GB of ram total).

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
There is no reason to have more than 8gbs of ram for gaming. I've actually seen stats reporting decreased performance at figures over that, especially over 12.

G

There is no reason to have more than 8gbs of ram for gaming. I've actually seen stats reporting decreased performance at figures over that, especially over 12.
What? More RAM = less performance? Does not compute.

[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]There is no reason to have more than 8gbs of ram for gaming. I've actually seen stats reporting decreased performance at figures over that, especially over 12.[/citation]

Exactly. Most games don't even benefit much more when going from 4GB to 8GB. Now if you are someone who runs a lot of tasks in the background while gaming, 8-12GB will be worth it.

Otherwise, anything more than 8GB for a P/Z67 chipset or 12GB for X58 and you are pissing money down the toilet. Or as you referenced, even hindering performance. 12+GB RAM aree for servers, not desktop rigs.

G

[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]There is no reason to have more than 8gbs of ram for gaming. I've actually seen stats reporting decreased performance at figures over that, especially over 12.[/citation]
I have 12gb of ram and use it to the full potential. I'll commonly have GTA IV loaded up, about 20 tabs in chrome, and multiple apps for homework running and I'll be using 8gb of ram or more easily. Also, I rarely shutdown my pc and prefer windows to keep as much stuff in memeroy as possible so I don't have to access files from my F3 500gb main system drive.

I can live with 1-2fps decrease for being able to leave my apps open 24/7 and ready to run.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
the only 4 memory stick slots are a let down.
But more of a let down is that I don't see an mSATA slot on the motherboard anywhere. My next motherboard must have an mSATA no exceptions.

Also SATA II/ SATA III too few of them it should had at least 10.
(even if there were only 2 or 4 SATA III) and the rest SATA II.

[citation][nom]smufferone[/nom]What? More RAM = less performance? Does not compute.[/citation]

Actually I have seen those same benchmarks about a year or two ago. I believe it was Anandtech and they used an X58 chipset comparing an upgrade from 6GB to 12GB. A couple of benchmarks actually showed a slight decrease in frames. I'm trying to dig that article up (or one similar).

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Exactly. Most games don't even benefit much more when going from 4GB to 8GB. Now if you are someone who runs a lot of tasks in the background while gaming, 8-12GB will be worth it. Otherwise, anything more than 8GB for a P/Z67 chipset or 12GB for X58 and you are pissing money down the toilet. [/citation]

If you are the type of person who buys this type of motherboard you are pissing money down the toilet anyways.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Nice looking board but only 2 x 6Gbs ports ? Damn I was about to buy a Gigabyte Sniper 2 board to go with my new GTX 580 3Gb card for BF3 but maybe I should wait another month...[/citation]

This is not Gigabytes fault. Intel chips will only support that number Sata ports. They do have the option of using a 3rd party controller to add more Sata 6 gb/s ports but I think it is better that they do not do that. From the benchmarks I have seen, 3rd party Sata 6 gb/s ports actually perform worse than the Intel 3 gb/s ports.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Some X79 board have 8 ram slots. Maybe their FTW might get it.[/citation]
at least the new Intel will come with liquid coolers?

abel2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I don't understand how some people are saying that too much ram will slow down your pc. Does it not have the fastest data access speed of any component?

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]smufferone[/nom]What? More RAM = less performance? Does not compute.[/citation]
Look at the benchmarks if you don't believe it, good is your friend.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

They used to day "don't need more than" about that about whatever level you want to name. 1GB. Then 2GB. Then Tomshardware tested that Vista actually ran fine on 3GB. You certainly didn't need more than 4GB unless you were running a server. Fairly recently, that number has moved to 8GB. Tomshardware also did a recent article about how you could use more than 4GB (nominally) even in a 32-bit system by using the added memory as a RAM drive. For a 64-bit system. you would use 8GB of memory as normal and use any additional RAM for the RAM drive.

Point is, things change, hardware and software evolve continually, and 8GB of memory will become another mark in the road just as all that came before it have. You have to be very careful with what you believe is fact - in the electronics world, what was true yesterday may not be true today.

;)

g-unit1111

Titan
Just out of curiosity - why the RAM situated around the CPU instead of having it next to the CPU like they've done before? This will totally ruin a lot of potential fan configurations but if Intel is shipping the new chips with a liquid cooler I guess it doesn't matter.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]DaFees[/nom]Well I can live with the 4 ram slots if those ram slots support 8GB sticks (32GB of ram total).[/citation]
well, with 4 you get 8gb a slot, that would work out to 32gb
with 8, it would most likely support 8gb, but lets do this with 4, which would also work to 32gb

with 8gb ram you are looking at 300-400 a kit, so 600-800$
with 4gb ram you are looking at 35-125 a kit, lets go with a 50$ normal that comes to 200$ got 32gb with a range of 140$-500$

even the most retardedly expensive 4gb kit costs less than the most reasonably priced 8gb kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.