EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 SC OR FTW Edition?

WasteNoHourz

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Hi, decided on getting the GTX 1070 over the GTX 1080 because I will mostly game at 1440p and the 1080 is just waaaay overpriced at present, but I guess that will benefit you if you step up later when prices normalise.

Anywho, my question is What would you recommend getting, the SC or the FTW edition and why?

Solution

The SC comes with a factory overclock so it should, in most cases, outperform a 1070 running without an overclock. The FTW edition comes overclocked higher and also has additional power phases which potentially allow for a higher overclock. Ultimately what you're getting with the FTW is a guarantee that it can reach higher overclocks, the silicon lottery still comes into play as far as getting lucky with a chip that overclocks well. If you're willing to pay the difference and want to overclock the FTW SHOULD, but may not always, give you higher clocks which...

WasteNoHourz

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
I'm new to the who thing. I just notice a lot of people buy the SC when the FTW looks to be the better card. Just wondering why. I will probably overclock it down the line.

Jayhawker32

Distinguished

The SC comes with a factory overclock so it should, in most cases, outperform a 1070 running without an overclock. The FTW edition comes overclocked higher and also has additional power phases which potentially allow for a higher overclock. Ultimately what you're getting with the FTW is a guarantee that it can reach higher overclocks, the silicon lottery still comes into play as far as getting lucky with a chip that overclocks well. If you're willing to pay the difference and want to overclock the FTW SHOULD, but may not always, give you higher clocks which results in better performance.

Solution