Question Evga Or Seasonic?

Techhhhy

Great
Mar 19, 2019
When you say its low quality, do you mean because it's 80+ white?

Is platinum the highest and white the lowest?
Is there like a ranking thing on the internet anywhere I could look at that display the best to worst?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
don't know why they are calling it "white" its the same old W1 low quality unit they been selling for years now. has nothing to do with effeciency rating like bronze, silver and so on

a user here used to maintain a listing of psu's ranked by quality but it has kind of fallen to the wayside. at the top of this forum section is a well made psu list but it does not rank them.

basically we've just been doing this so long we know what's good and what's not. there are a few sites you can check for reviews to help figure it out on your own. tom's reviews a bunch as does johnnyguru.

Techhhhy

Great
Mar 19, 2019
If you are in the UK, not sure why you are building a computer on the American Parts side.
Also if you are in the UK state what budget you have and I am sure I or someone else can make you a decent system
Wdym the american parts side? and when you say make me a decent system do you mean a parts reccomendation?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have purchased a few of the EVGA units for much less than the required output use in budget builds. IDK about your location, but Best Buy has those for $35 right now. If your projected usage is less than 1/2 to 2/3 of the rated output and budget is a concern...well, I have used them.
The Seasonic is better, hands down.

80+ white is the lowest level, and then moves up through the "metals" according to just how efficient. It's better getting an 80+ rated anything than one that isn't from an efficiency standpoint.

Techhhhy

Great
Mar 19, 2019
I have purchased a few of the EVGA units for much less than the required output use in budget builds. IDK about your location, but Best Buy has those for $35 right now. If your projected usage is less than 1/2 to 2/3 of the rated output and budget is a concern...well, I have used them.
The Seasonic is better, hands down.

80+ white is the lowest level, and then moves up through the "metals" according to just how efficient. It's better getting an 80+ rated anything than one that isn't from an efficiency standpoint.
Ok, thanks for the information

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you look up reviews of the psu in question and see what the internal parts are. a teardown is part of a good review. they also look at soldering work, parts used and many other things. then they test efficiency and many other electrical stuff. efficiency is not tested but rather "declared" by a company and only on top units is it accurate. it is tested in reviews which gives the real numbers.

here is a very in depth and good write up of all things psu that will let you see all that is looked at and considered in reviews. this will help understand what the reviews are looking at and saying.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html

then you can check out some reviews and see how it relates

it is in depth and more than looking at listed specs to truly understand why one is better than another

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can't go wrong with a Seasonic. I don't know as much about EVGA, I think some of them are good and some not so good, but I don't know which ones.

Also, you're comparing a 450W to a 600W PSU.

I think 450W is kind of cutting it a little too close. If you click on the 550W button for the Seasonic on the NewEgg link you provided, it comes to $59.99 after rebate (plus $1.99 shipping)

If you click on the 650W button, it comes to $69.99 after rebate (plus $1.99 shipping), which is only $3.11 more than the EVGA.

For your system, I'd say the 550W would be just fine.

Have you purchased the rest of the components yet? If not, then there are a few sets of Ripjaws V Series RAM at 3200MHz, but 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb, for only $29-32 more. (I don't know why there are 3 different 3200Mhz Ripjaws V Series sets listed, or what the differences are between them... maybe CL?). Might be worth it, bang-for-buck.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

i must have missed this. is this what they used to just list as + ?? that's what the W1 used to be listed as. guess they came up with a way to have a word there and not just a blank space.

Wdym the american parts side? and when you say make me a decent system do you mean a parts reccomendation?
America doesn't have the 20% tax we have in the UK, they have 0 most of the time.
America also has a larger pool of parts than we generally do in the UK
So budget and parts are a huge difference

Yes, state your budget, what you want to use your computer for and the experts on here can help you decide a decent machine to build. A lot of things in your list are very low quality, but will still work, but since we don't know budget, it's hard to make recommendations

Techhhhy

Great
Mar 19, 2019
You can't go wrong with a Seasonic. I don't know as much about EVGA, I think some of them are good and some not so good, but I don't know which ones.

Also, you're comparing a 450W to a 600W PSU.

I think 450W is kind of cutting it a little too close. If you click on the 550W button for the Seasonic on the NewEgg link you provided, it comes to $59.99 after rebate (plus $1.99 shipping)

If you click on the 650W button, it comes to $69.99 after rebate (plus $1.99 shipping), which is only $3.11 more than the EVGA.

For your system, I'd say the 550W would be just fine.

Have you purchased the rest of the components yet? If not, then there are a few sets of Ripjaws V Series RAM at 3200MHz, but 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb, for only $29-32 more. (I don't know why there are 3 different 3200Mhz Ripjaws V Series sets listed, or what the differences are between them... maybe CL?). Might be worth it, bang-for-buck.
No i havent bought them yet, will the 550w be able to handle a rx 580 and also how much actually is the 550w, i got kind of confused, Also how is the 650w seasonic only $3 more than the evga?

Techhhhy

Great
Mar 19, 2019
America doesn't have the 20% tax we have in the UK, they have 0 most of the time.
America also has a larger pool of parts than we generally do in the UK
So budget and parts are a huge difference

Yes, state your budget, what you want to use your computer for and the experts on here can help you decide a decent machine to build. A lot of things in your list are very low quality, but will still work, but since we don't know budget, it's hard to make recommendations
What parts are low quality?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No i havent bought them yet, will the 550w be able to handle a rx 580 and also how much actually is the 550w, i got kind of confused, Also how is the 650w seasonic only $3 more than the evga?

The 650W version of the Seasonic is $69.99 (after rebate), plus $1.99 shipping, so, $71.98. The EVGA White is $68.87. Thus, the $3.11 difference.

You originally linked to the 450W version of the Seasonic. Here are direct links to the:
550W version
650W version

I think that the 550W Seasonic power supply is easily enough for your proposed system even with an RX 580.

Note that Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium are all efficiency ratings for power supplies. The efficiency rating is completely independent of whether the power supply is high quality (high quality meaning providing stable power, durable, safe, etc).

Judging by what other people are saying here, the EVGA power supply you linked to is not a good power supply.

EVGA white box PSUs are not all that great. They're okay for office use, and not much more. The majority of their SuperNOVA series on the otherhand are good units. (I think the B3 models are the exception.)

I can't think of any Seasonic units that aren't at least good... and most are top tier to second tier... where the money for one is best spent if at all possible.