[SOLVED] EVGA or Thermaltake Power Supply for my PC?

Buchinski13

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new power supply. At the moment, I'm between two: EVGA and Thermaltake.

Both are 700W, 80 Plus

System Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1070
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Resolution: 1920x1080
Thoughts?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
What are the models? Evga makes a pretty solid unit for the right models, I would assume thermaltake does as well. Look into who makes the internals. Seasonic makes pretty good units that other companies use, so if it has seasonic internals it is probably a good unit.
I have a corsair ax760 80 plus platinum unit, I've had it for about 5 years, it has 2 years left on it's warranty and I have been very pleased and impressed. My mobo has very poor power phasing and vrms, I've been running the mobo well beyond capacity for well over a year now and it hasn't fried yet, I blame it on the power supply being an amazing and stable unit.

What are the models? Evga makes a pretty solid unit for the right models, I would assume thermaltake does as well. Look into who makes the internals. Seasonic makes pretty good units that other companies use, so if it has seasonic internals it is probably a good unit.

Seasonic has never made PSUs for Thermaltake and the only EVGA ever made by Seasonic was a 80 PLUS Gold one that's already been discontinued.

There are a lot more good PSU factories out there than just Seasonic.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I'm just giving personal experience backed up by several reviews. There are indeed plenty of other good PSU makers, seasonic is one of the better ones. I recommend a corsair product and not even an evga or thermaltake at any rate. Evga also makes some excellent PSUs, I dont know a thing about thermaltake.

Buchinski13

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Just "80 PLUS"? Not 80 PLUS Bronze, or Gold, or....

So we're talking about the EVGA W1 or the Thermaltake Smart?

Both are garbage.

Why do you want to power your nice PC with a garbage power supply?

I live in Brazil, these are the only brands that I found locally. If I were to buy from the US, what would you recommend?

I live in Brazil, these are the only brands that I found locally. If I were to buy from the US, what would you recommend?

There's more brands than that in Brazil. I know that for a fact.

https://www.kabum.com.br/hardware/fontes

And I'm not saying that EVGA or Thermaltake are garbage brands in general. Both companies make a full range of products. The W1 and the Smart are just the cheapest ones they make.

Solution