Question EVGA P2 750 PSU fan making a whistling noise ?

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
Specs:
Windows 10 (1 year)
GTX 970 (4-5+ years?)
Ryzen 5 3600 (1 year)
Corsair Vengeance AMD 8x2 (1 year)
MSI Tomahawk Max II (1 year)
Samsung 870 250gig boot drive (1 year)
Crucial MX500 2tb storage drive (1ish month)
Lian Li Lancool 205 Case (1 year)
4x case fans (1 year)

I have an EVGA P2 750 that's been serving me well for about a year. It's developed some coil whine but that's been behaving fairly well for now. However, the PSU fan itself has been making a noise that sounds like air being forced through a tight passage. It's not a whine, not a buzz, not grinding or anything like that. I almost thought it was coil whine again but realized the sound vanishes when I turn off the fan via econ mode. I can hear the fan motor slowly power down and the whistling fades out when the motor stops. Turning it back on, the whistling returns immediately regardless of the motor.

I recorded the sound as best I could (it was difficult) --
View: https://soundcloud.com/gongoozler/weirdnoise

I found one other example of someone else with the same exact issue --
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEs0gQE1JP0&t=1s

(In this one you can hear the fan being switched off and the noise fading, then coming back immediately when switched back on)

The sound is audible if my room is dead silent, from about 2-3 feet away from my PC. It's entirely possible the sound has been there for weeks as I constantly have fans inside and outside my room going, basically overpowering any noise from my PC. I only heard it when one day I turned on my PC before turning on my fans lol.

EVGA wasn't very descriptive, simply saying "fan problem" and offering a RMA which I'll take eventually. Can't afford to have no access to my PC for 1-2 weeks, don't have spares and don't have money for a cross-shipment RMA. I will in maybe a week or two so I'm gonna cross RMA it then.

For the time being, I'm just wondering what the cause of this sound could be. It's not dust or obstruction, I cleaned the hell out of the PSU and had no change. Switched to a different outlet and the sound persisted. Almost sounds like it's 2 separate sounds, because I can clearly hear the dull hum of the fan motor if my ear is pressed against the PSU. It doesn't change depending on load/temp, it's basically the same pitch with no interruptions power on to power off. It also doesn't sound like fan bearing grinding to me, like I mentioned I almost mistook it for coil whine. Tilting the tower left or right has no change, nor putting pressure on the fan grate. I've noticed it a few days ago and haven't heard/seen any change in volume or behavior.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
I'm not 100% sure what you mean - I shouldn't think much of EVGA's response because it was low effort?

And yeah, the sound is almost exactly like coil whine but it only occurs when the fan is on so I'm stumped lol.

I did find this reddit post - View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/q7qg62/evga_p2_psu_fan_noise/
- another person having the same issue with the same (more or less) model only that the RMA replacement they received did the same thing. So now I'm starting to wonder if this is just another "normal" behavior quirk unique to the P2.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
little to put effort in.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean - I shouldn't think much of EVGA's response because it was low effort?

From forum side, they want to swap, so it's fine, just make use of that rma.

I'm starting to wonder if this is just another "normal" behavior quirk unique to the P2.

Maybe they figured the fan isn't great, or just great in sound who knows,maybe EVGA's great customer support. Maybe it's even the fangrill's shape that makes it worse i don't know. I heard so much fannoise in that vid i cannot hear much of a difference, have to take your word for it that it's there. Assuming not all of that fannoise is coming from the psu ....