Question EVGA Power Supply clicking when shut down

May 24, 2022
Yet another clicking question:
I recently purchased an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA power supply for my new build, using a GIGABYTE B660I AORUS PRO motherboard.

The first power supply did a weird clicking thing; it would boot the system, but would sporadically click 10 times or so, turning the video into snow. I eventually discovered that it would do the clicking with the big motherboard cable self-tester plugged into the end that would normally go into the MB; I RMA'ed it and got a new one.

The replacement boots the system fine; no clicking with power on; but if you use Windows to shut the system down, it will sporadically start clicking (with the power supply on/off switch to on) until you flip the power supply off, at which point it clicks until the capacitors are discharged. This usually doesn't happen for hours and hours; for example, if I power down Windows in the early evening, by the morning it will be clicking. I have read elsewhere that power supplies draw a very small current with the power switch on but the MB circuit off.

This sounds to me like a second bad EVGA power supply.
At this point, after one RMA already, I am thinking I should write off EVGA power supplies as unusable and buy one from a better brand (using the helpful advice pinned to this forum).

Does this sound right?

D

Deleted member 362816

I wouldn't write off evga I would stick with the G2,G6 or New G7, or any of the platinum or titanium models.

GQ,GA are just subpar overall.

Reactions: rcald2000
Yet another clicking question:
I recently purchased an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA power supply for my new build, using a GIGABYTE B660I AORUS PRO motherboard.

The first power supply did a weird clicking thing; it would boot the system, but would sporadically click 10 times or so, turning the video into snow. I eventually discovered that it would do the clicking with the big motherboard cable self-tester plugged into the end that would normally go into the MB; I RMA'ed it and got a new one.

The replacement boots the system fine; no clicking with power on; but if you use Windows to shut the system down, it will sporadically start clicking (with the power supply on/off switch to on) until you flip the power supply off, at which point it clicks until the capacitors are discharged. This usually doesn't happen for hours and hours; for example, if I power down Windows in the early evening, by the morning it will be clicking. I have read elsewhere that power supplies draw a very small current with the power switch on but the MB circuit off.

This sounds to me like a second bad EVGA power supply.
At this point, after one RMA already, I am thinking I should write off EVGA power supplies as unusable and buy one from a better brand (using the helpful advice pinned to this forum).

Does this sound right?
See if they upgrade you to a G6 which is the most current quality unit in the G series.

The EVGA G6 750 (SeaSonic OEM) is only $10 more than the GA 750 right now on Amazon, $89.99 vs $79.99. If they won't upgrade you for free then ask if you could pay the difference in price to get the much better model.

Addendum: The only downside to the G6 is the aesthetics of the cables. They are flat ribbon cables, so you might want view them beforehand to make sure that you're okay with their looks. Besides that, I've heard good things about the G6 line.

May 24, 2022
The EVGA G6 750 (SeaSonic OEM) is only $10 more than the GA 750 right now on Amazon, $89.99 vs $79.99. If they won't upgrade you for free then ask if you could pay the difference in price to get the much better model.

Addendum: The only downside to the G6 is the aesthetics of the cables. They are flat ribbon cables, so you might want view them beforehand to make sure that you're okay with their looks. Besides that, I've heard good things about the G6 line.

Thanks, I have done that! I'm old school on looks....flat/round cables are both ok by me.