EVGA Releases 700B Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I wonder why they release these lower end models , when most of their high end units are stellar and at great prices.

Their high end supplies are unreal , great quality , superior to most on the market.

I own 5 now and will continue to buy more. :D

I think what EVGA is trying to do here is fight off the Corsair CX buyers. EVGA may have the high-end PS market, but Corsair has a grasp on the low-quality market. If this can prove to be of same quality as a CX 600, sell for lesss ($50 is appealing), and have a 700W rating, it could be successful.

However, it'll probably be very bad quality.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I find budget 700 watt PSU's a bit pointless. If you're building a system that requires 700 watts to run, chances are you're forking out quite a lot of cash on overclockable mobo/cpu and several video cards. At that point, why would you go for a cheap PSU?

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I find budget 700 watt PSU's a bit pointless. If you're building a system that requires 700 watts to run, chances are you're forking out quite a lot of cash on overclockable mobo/cpu and several video cards. At that point, why would you go for a cheap PSU?

Because of those silly online calculators that say a 970 and a 6600K need 800W.

I think this is probably true. Although right now, you can get these PSUs from other retailers, both Newegg and Amazon have a price of like $75 for the 700B, even though the MSRP is $49.99 and it can be bought from EVGA for that price. The 750 B2 can usually be picked up for around $50-$60 if you go shopping around, but EVGA's list price for it is I believe $79.99.

At the moment, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy one of these, but if the 700B drops to around $30 it might be a touch competitor agianst Corsair's CX series of PSUs. Would really like to inspect the internal hardware more closely to know for sure though.

I don't see it dropping to $30. $30 700W power supplies are usually like the bad one in my signature. The B units are lower quality but certainly are usable, they're not like those other $30 high-watt units that tend to be absolutely terrible. I could see $45 at the least, considering its competition is the CX 600 which is like $65 or the CX 700 which is even more of a rip off.

But yeah it seems retailers are selling it for more, which is probably smart on their part since EVGA is a well known brand name and some people will foolishly buy it for $75.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I wonder why they release these lower end models , when most of their high end units are stellar and at great prices.

Their high end supplies are unreal , great quality , superior to most on the market.

I own 5 now and will continue to buy more. :D

I do love EVGA and prefer to buy my stuff from them (US company with support that actually speaks my language!) but the only discrepancy I have is that their GTX 980 SC GPUs were VERY unstable, I had to send mine back so I just used StepUp to get a 980 ti, 2 birds 1 stone! Support e-mailed back super quick and I didn't have to wait long in line either (this was minutes after their 980 ti was available). I will always recommend EVGA over others.

You are judging all units based on the one you specifically owned. You shouldn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.