EVGA Releases VR Version Of GTX 980 Ti, Ships With Front-Mounted Breakout Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the use of this card is pretty much a no go for anybody with a Fractal design or NZXT case, or any of the other cases out there, that have no external 5.25" bays if you want to use the front break out box. Seems they might have considered the trend towards removing the front bays and make the box similar to an external USB hub or something that could be used on systems without the bays.

Even ten years ago Creative labs Soundblaster Live had external break out boxes that were divorced entirely from the case by way of USB cable, you'd think they could have done something similar here.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
company is not charging a premium for the ACX 2.0+ cooler.

its because the acx cooler is cheap and inferior to the stock reference design cooler. Any EVGA card with the reference cooler is automatically +$60 than the ACX

It's hard to justify this box when all you need is a $5 HDMI Cable. But i'm sure they will sell the box seperate and sell a few units.

dstarr3

Distinguished
"This front-mounted bay includes an HDMI input and two USB 3.0 ports used to connect to a VR HMD"

I suppose that makes... a slight amount of sense. Kind of. But just picking up some longer cables would still only run you... maybe $10. Talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
The Rift requires an HDMI 1.3 connection, 3 x USB 3.0 connections, and 1 x USB 2.0 connection. So, an HDMI and 2 x USB 3.0's doesn't really help.....

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The box is useless without the internal HDMI port.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

You can't just "pick up longer cables" for the Vive, that I know of.

dstarr3

Distinguished

You can certainly get extension cables, anyway. No problem at all if all you need is an extra six feet.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

We've yet to see if that will have any adverse effect on VR. Extensions could affect the quality of the signal.
That's something I would like to test when we review the VR hardware.

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

We've yet to see if that will have any adverse effect on VR. Extensions could affect the quality of the signal.
That's something I would like to test when we review the VR hardware.

The connection from the front of the card to the box is an extension also... albeit a short one.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

That's a fair point.
I guess we'll see.

Admiral Fist

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Everyone is talking about extension cords like this is just expected to just add slack. I would say the main merit could be ease of access. I would not want to constantly leave my VR headset and stuff sitting on the desk if the computer is frequently used for other things. A front mounted set of ports make it easy to remove and keep in a drawer.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I guess the use of this card is pretty much a no go for anybody with a Fractal design or NZXT case, or any of the other cases out there, that have no external 5.25" bays if you want to use the front break out box. Seems they might have considered the trend towards removing the front bays and make the box similar to an external USB hub or something that could be used on systems without the bays.

Even ten years ago Creative labs Soundblaster Live had external break out boxes that were divorced entirely from the case by way of USB cable, you'd think they could have done something similar here.

huh... My FractalDesign Core Series 3500 has a front 5.25" slot...must be defective...

It looks like a 3.5" mounted in a 5.25" adapter tray.

And yes, I think many people would want this, or box for your desk. Maybe a box for the desk with a DAC for the desktop speakers would be useful (DAC for non-VR obviously)

94_xj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't leave all my stuff hooked up and laying on my desk at all times. Doesn't anyone else put their gear away? No children or even some that visit and Luke to touch things?

This would make plugging in much easier compared to going behind my computer and is much neater than an extension cable laying out all the time.

I get the criticism about needing 3 USB 3.0 ports, but I only have 2 front panel 3.0 ports (and 2 2.0) on the case as it is. With this I would have 4 front panel 3.0 ports which works out well for me.

While I don't think it will be a huge seller, VR setups are fairly niche right now already. A few people like myself will like the ability to have an easy hookup and be able to put stuff away.

94_xj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't leave all my stuff plugged in on my desk at all times. This is much easier access to plug everything in without going behind the computer or leaving an extension cable laying out.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Definitely one of the intended functions.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Yeah, but are you willing to spend an inflated price tag on a stock speed card just for that minor convenience? $700 could get you a watercooled 980 Ti instead. If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the better card, some extension cables, and just tuck those away under the desk when the VR's in the drawer.

Complex Sudo

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

huh... My FractalDesign Core Series 3500 has a front 5.25" slot...must be defective...
My Define R4 and R5 must be really defective cause they both have two front 5.25" slots.

civers1

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I think its a good idea. I have had a need for something like this on occasion, well before VR. If you are upgrading your GPU to get into the VR game, why not get this to make hooking up your HDU that much easier? Defiantly not for everyone, but not a bad idea either.

MetalSparks

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
"This front-mounted bay includes an HDMI input and two USB 3.0 ports used to connect to a VR HMD"

I suppose that makes... a slight amount of sense. Kind of. But just picking up some longer cables would still only run you... maybe $10. Talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

JFC, I was just thinking the same exact thing - so long as the chassis has an opening that allows a cable to pass through (like liquid cooling pipe holes) rerouting the cable from the rear to the inside of the case would actually be better for cable management and would only reduce the cable's length by 1ft.

Unless you have an incompatible chassis or absolutely need all the HDMI ports the card has to offer it's a waste considering the cheaper/better alternative 980 Tis we have.

Tor___

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
"This front-mounted bay includes an HDMI input and two USB 3.0 ports used to connect to a VR HMD" I have Dell Precision T500 workstation with USB2 only. Does this USB 3 breakout box upgrade my system from USB2 to USB3, or is that plug just to access the video card?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

It plugs into an internal USB 3.0 header, so your board has to support it.
If your computer doesn't have USB3.0, the rest of it likely isn't up to the task for VR.

run the SteamVR performance test and the Oculus Rift compatibility tool to get an idea of what you need to upgrade for proper VR gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.