EVGA Reveals New ACX Cooler, Precision X Software For The GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that blue ACX 3.0 theme comes to the 1070. My 970 ACX 2.0+ cards have been outstanding and overclock like a beast to 980 performance without even touching voltage while still remaining cool. Not much has been mentioned of updated GPU controlling software coming like Precision X and Afterburner with the new GPUs coming, but I look forward to a review of them as well. I knew EVGA wouldn't let me down as they haven't since the GTX 275.

Whats with the sudden fascination with LEDs that will be facing down in nearly every enthusiast case.
I do enjoy lighting, but get proper case lighting, dont just slap it on the faceplate of a card.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The trend is actually for single GPU mini and micro ATX where the GPU 'face' is visible through the side panel window.

It is getting more tempting to build that style then stick with mid and full towers.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
The pre-order price for the EVGA 1080 FTW was $679.99.

Snagged one to see how it compares to the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 at 1454MHz. I'm betting that if I resell it I'll still come out on top.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
The power type are the total power phases to the GPU and Memory (6 + 1, 14 + 3) - which theoretically can increase power delivery and stability, and therefore improve the overclocking results. For the FTW and Classified, there are move power phases for each.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
The pre-order price for the EVGA 1080 FTW was $679.99.

Snagged one to see how it compares to the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 at 1454MHz. I'm betting that if I resell it I'll still come out on top.
Snagged one where? I can't find any for sale on any website (except for $1000 price gougers)

1c3man

Commendable
May 22, 2016

Thanks John! :)

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Direct from EVGA. Their website was up and down a lot, mostly down, but I managed to add a FTW pre-order to my cart and managed to finally check out about an hour and a half later.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Ah, pre order. I missed that part. I thought you found a spot that had some. I guess we wait a while until they actually are available. Their website still says pre order for the two they list. Drag.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
From one of the EVGA reps on their forums, the SC and FTW should ship out mid-June. So they should also be hitting retailers online and in brick and mortar shops around the same time.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Looks great, but I love the Founder's Edition more. Always have loved the original versions from Nvidia - they just seem so much beefier.

Yeah the reference (sorry Nvidia, I'm going to still use that word :D) card is pretty sweet in looks. It's just a sham that it's cooling isn't that great as advertised.

I disagree about the reference. After seeing cards like the Strix and what Zotac and Gigabyte are also bringing to the table, their cards just are so much more attractive. They also have enhanced power phase designs and other features like better cooling, fan hubs on the card (Strix), and controllable LEDs, even thermally controlled. The reference cards never appealed to me, they look too robotic.

Also, if you want a blower style card, MSI has already introduced its Aero, so in my book the only reason to buy reference is to maybe watercool.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
The Founders, or Fools, Edition is a pure money grab by Nvidia, and a slap in the face for every consumer.

The Fools Edition cooler can't keep up with out of the box settings and the card thermal throttles, unless you set a more aggressive fan profile (and that's at stock speed). Also, it is power limited when overclocking after getting rid of thermal throttling due to a single 8 pin power connector.

For my 1080 FTW pre-order I paid 679.99, and it has twice the VRM phases for the GPU and VRAM, and twice the 8 pin power connectors. Yes, I have to wait til mid-June to get it - how horrible!

The Fools Edition costs 700 for worse cooling, worse overclockability (yes, I understand the silicon lottery plays a role), and worse acoustics.

I personally find it humorous how everyone talks about how "efficient" the 1080 is, yet it can get pretty hot with high power requirements. An overclocked 1080 is easily a 200W-225W card. It does surpass the GTX 980 in power requirements. It's really not that efficient. Is it efficient? Yes. Better than AMD's 300 series. But it is not a boost like it was when Maxwell came out. The GTX 900 series was way more efficient than the 700 series while maintaining a better performance by a decent margin. Pascal has the performance leap, but the efficiency we were hoping for is lacking, as it is a less efficient architecture, at least on the 1080, compared to Maxwell.

Also, the smaller die size, with less contact area on the heat sink, also plays a role in Pascal running a little hotter. I'll be interested to see how these aftermarket cards do in power demand tests. Aftermarket cards usually require a lot higher power than the reference due to modifications, different cooling systems, LEDs, etc. If the overclocked reference card is 225W at 2100Mhz, I'd expect our aftermarket cards that are overclocked to ~1900Mhz to be near the same. Once we start seeing cards overclocked to 2100Mhz that are aftermarket, we may be looking at 250W cards (about 980Ti level).

Pascal is good, but it's not that good.

While some may like how the reference ("founders") cards look, sad to say, compared to most (all?) non-reference designs (most especially those at the higher end), the "founders" edition cards are of poorer quality. Overall PCB layout & design, power phase design, and cooling, of "founders edition" cards, are woefully inferior. And, as if to add insult to injury, priced far higher, as well...

Not surprisingly, nVidia seems to be employing a strategy of over-hyping coupled with deliberate underproduction. This has resulted in heavy price gouging, whereby founders edition cards can only be obtained for ~ 1/3 to 1/2 or over what nVidia's stated MSRP for them is. Ya... nVidia priced their inferior "founders" cards higher "to avoid undercutting their partners" Riiiight... lol. Disappointing to see that bs line in the 1080 article the other day, btw, Tom's. Considering the lower quality of the founders cards, this must surely be NV's biggest marketing coup in some time, if not ever. And at a time when the desktop market is shrinking, to boot...

It's all but impossible to believe this isn't precisely what NV intended. You'd either have to have money to burn, or blinded by hype to overpay so much for a 1080. Will it be the same with their AIB partners cards at least in the beginning? Or for the 1070? Possibly? Most likely? Time will tell.

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I love EVGA carda and have used them for the last 6 years BUT this year it will be a tough decision to pick a 1080!
The ASUS and MSI also look extra sweet this year!

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I love EVGA carda and have used them for the last 6 years BUT this year it will be a tough decision to pick a 1080!
The ASUS and MSI also look extra sweet this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.