Question EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black --- almost all games crashing after 5-20 minutes

Shouxx

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
As the title suggests my almost brand new 2070 Super is running games as it supposed to for about 5-20 minutes before crashing to desktop, alongside that my only other issue was a black mass akin to the void spawning in and enveloping me in the the Modern Warfare 2019 Campaign. There's been no other issues with the card, my desktop runs as smooth as ever, browsing the web is no issue, it's only while gaming. I've tried it with an EVGA 750W PSU that I stupidly cheaped out on because the 520 for the card hit my wallet hard enough, and with my old EVGA SuperNova 550w 80 Plus Gold PSU which both present the same issue. I've tried running 2 different VGA power cables into the 8 and 6 pin slots, updating my BIOS which gave it around 3-4 hours of solid runtime before crashing again, reseating the GPU, updating to the newest drivers, and uninstalling those and going one version back, and underclocking the card slightly and adding a hyper-aggressive fan curve. It seems like I'm gonna have to RMA it, but i thought I'd ask you lovely people for any other things I could try to fix this before starting the RMA process.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
As the title suggests my almost brand new 2070 Super is running games as it supposed to for about 5-20 minutes before crashing to desktop, alongside that my only other issue was a black mass akin to the void spawning in and enveloping me in the the Modern Warfare 2019 Campaign. There's been no other issues with the card, my desktop runs as smooth as ever, browsing the web is no issue, it's only while gaming. I've tried it with an EVGA 750W PSU that I stupidly cheaped out on because the 520 for the card hit my wallet hard enough, and with my old EVGA SuperNova 550w 80 Plus Gold PSU which both present the same issue. I've tried running 2 different VGA power cables into the 8 and 6 pin slots, updating my BIOS which gave it around 3-4 hours of solid runtime before crashing again, reseating the GPU, updating to the newest drivers, and uninstalling those and going one version back, and underclocking the card slightly and adding a hyper-aggressive fan curve. It seems like I'm gonna have to RMA it, but i thought I'd ask you lovely people for any other things I could try to fix this before starting the RMA process.
Did you have a different graphics card on your motherboard before getting the 2070 super? Did you install the latest drivers for it?

Shouxx

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
Did you have a different graphics card on your motherboard before getting the 2070 super? Did you install the latest drivers for it?
Yea I had a 1060 6GB before and it was working fine. I used DDU to uninstall everything for that and update to the latest 2070 Super drivers. I now think the 2070 Super is fine as well because I ran Unigen Valley for ~30 mins with no issues, however the black mass in CoD MW 2019 still persists alongside Minecraft Bedrock saying Ray Tracing is not supported. I'm gonna test in Metro Exodus to see if the Ray Tracing portion of the card is broken, which I have a sneaking suspicion is true sadly.

Edit, just went back to play some Metro 2033 Redux while Exodus is installing and it crashed about 1 minute after gameplay started

Last edited:

shiriken

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
Make sure you do a clean driver install removing all old drivers. You might want to reset the cmos on your motherboard. What are the gpu temps at idle and under load? What about fans speeds at idle and under load?