[SOLVED] EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC undervolt stability test?

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Hey there!

I recently picked up the 3060 Ti XC from EVGA.
It reached upwards of 77-78C, which to me was quite hot and it also came with a significant fan speed of 77-78%.
I undervolted the card to 0.900 with 1875 Mhz. Before, it ran at 1815-1780 when the temps reached 77.
I don't want to overclock/tune it any further, my question would be regarding the stability.
I have tested it in several demanding games, such as Dying Light 2.
I maxed out the graphics and looked at a really demanding area for about ~30 minutes, no crashes.
Also tested Battlefield V maxed out, no crash, just like in Control, worked flawlessly.
I have tried Time Spy as well as Superposition and Firestrike Ultra, all completed without any problems.
Can the 0.900 1875Mhz be called stable after all this, or do I need to check it with something else?
Would it have crashed after doing all these tests if it wasn't stable?

I appreciate every answer, thank you in advance!

Have a great day!

Solution
Dang near impossible, if not outright impossible to validate undervolts, because of how the built in Gpu Boost works.
Gpu Boost doesn't just observe power consumption and power limits, but also thermals, and will dynamically make its own changes to the gpu's operation.
Just when you think it's stable... on a warmer day than usual or a longer play session, it's dropped 15mhz or so. No way to know if the custom settings were 'stable' if it can do that on its own when it 'feels like it'.
The same also applies on AMD's Ryzen 3000-5000 cpus, since they pursue higher boost clocks the cooler their operating temperatures are, and change on the fly as well.

I settled on a simple -0.05v* & +10 core clock and called it a day... wrestled with...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Dang near impossible, if not outright impossible to validate undervolts, because of how the built in Gpu Boost works.
Gpu Boost doesn't just observe power consumption and power limits, but also thermals, and will dynamically make its own changes to the gpu's operation.
Just when you think it's stable... on a warmer day than usual or a longer play session, it's dropped 15mhz or so. No way to know if the custom settings were 'stable' if it can do that on its own when it 'feels like it'.
The same also applies on AMD's Ryzen 3000-5000 cpus, since they pursue higher boost clocks the cooler their operating temperatures are, and change on the fly as well.

I settled on a simple -0.05v* & +10 core clock and called it a day... wrestled with undervolting for about a month.
[It works with many cpus, due to how mobos use more voltage than necessary out of the box.]

Solution

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Am I going to damage the GPU if I keep it like this?
I heard and saw that it is very healthy for a GPU of the modern days to be undervolted, as it provides them a longer lifespan in every way.
If I won't damage it, I'm just going to keep it like this as it seems super stable for now.