Question EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming or MSI Nvidia RTX 2080 Super Gaming Trio ?

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
hello
with a friend we are hesitating between those 2 gpus

both in great shape and never used in gaming

what do you suggest?

he has a 1660
and plays on 1080p

The RTX 3070 is somewhat better in both 2d and 3d performance, but either of them is way more than you'd need for 1080p gaming, so whichever is least expensive might be the better choice although if you are buying these used the 3070 likely has fewer miles on it, which probably gives it a bit more value.

More important might be what is the exact model of his current power supply? Or are you planning to replace it and if so, with what?

Should be perfectly fine with that configuration. In fact, for quite a while there an RTX 3070 with a Ryzen 3700x was one of the most commonly recommended lower high end configurations out there for 1440p gaming. For 1080p gaming, well, you may end up wanting to upgrade the monitor as well at some point depending on the refresh rate and other specs of your monitor.

I’m using a 6700xt with a 1440p screen and it’s quite nice. My suggestion would actually be skip the 3070, and get a 6700xt or 6750xt and that may open the budget for a monitor. Not sure where you are located but in the USA if shopping on Newegg as an example one of the cheapest new 3070s sold by Newegg is 529. But on the 6700xt, there are a couple of models for 369. That leaves about 160 in savings. Put another 50 bucks with it and you can get a 32 inch, 144hz 1440p screen. When I went to 1440p that was one of the better upgrades I’d done in a while.

https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-e...1-31-5/p/N82E16824011234?item=N82E16824011234

Reactions: Koekieezz
Are you looking to buy this card new or used, because it makes a huge difference.

What is your preferred budget range for a card? Because Newegg is having some terrific Black Friday deals, right now, that are like 100-200 dollars off various RX6700xt, RTX 3070 and other models.

I know I mentioned amd. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that nvidia makes a bad product, they make great cards. However my issue with them right now is simply price vs performance. In my mind when I’m seeing 2 cards $160 bucks apart that are roughly equivalent, my money is usually going toward the price/performance. When I bought my card that was the same story. I looked at the rtx 2080, 2080 super, the 3060, etc. But what ultimately got me to purchase the amd card was I’d previously had good experiences with their cards and at the time, getting a 3060 was about the same cost as the 6700xt, I wasn’t willing to settle for less performance for the same money.

As I said nvidia makes great cards and they know it. They seem overpriced this generation and especially going into the 4000 series. 1600 for a 4090? 1200 for a 4080? It wasn’t that long ago that 800 or 1000 dollars was outrageous. But nvidia seems to be taking advantage of the fact people will pay it. Don’t get me wrong not that amd or Intel would not do that. But personally with nvidia being as greedy as they are at the moment I have a harder time recommending them. Especially in a case like this where I’ve used the amd product and you can nearly fit a 1440p monitor in for the same money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz
I know I mentioned amd. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that nvidia makes a bad product, they make great cards. However my issue with them right now is simply price vs performance. In my mind when I’m seeing 2 cards $160 bucks apart that are roughly equivalent, my money is usually going toward the price/performance. When I bought my card that was the same story. I looked at the rtx 2080, 2080 super, the 3060, etc. But what ultimately got me to purchase the amd card was I’d previously had good experiences with their cards and at the time, getting a 3060 was about the same cost as the 6700xt, I wasn’t willing to settle for less performance for the same money.

As I said nvidia makes great cards and they know it. They seem overpriced this generation and especially going into the 4000 series. 1600 for a 4090? 1200 for a 4080? It wasn’t that long ago that 800 or 1000 dollars was outrageous. But nvidia seems to be taking advantage of the fact people will pay it. Don’t get me wrong not that amd or Intel would not do that. But personally with nvidia being as greedy as they are at the moment I have a harder time recommending them. Especially in a case like this where I’ve used the amd product and you can nearly fit a 1440p monitor in for the same money.
hence why i did say 6700xt is a grab XD

nvidia buck to performance is just kinda meh compaared to 6700xt which lag a little vs 3070.

i use nvidia product mainly but i use Sapphire Nitro 580 8GB on my 2nd pc, no prob so far. using nimez driver 22.10.3 too