Question EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 12GB temps

mammaliika

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
I recently bought this card and my PC case dont have the best airflow (i realized it when i saw the temps of this gpu) so i was trying to find out what is normal temperature for this GPU but no luck so i decided to post a thread.
First i will post temps with my side panel ON (side panel is glass) and after that temps without the panel , so my question is should i be worried about the temps with the side panel or i should remove the panel or get a new case.
The case in question is - Aorus c300g
there are few screenshots from runing Unigine Heaven benchmark
View: https://i.imgur.com/S2PRk0b.jpg
- stock settings with side panel on
View: https://i.imgur.com/Mkdj62Z.jpg
- stock settings with side panel off , not much difference here, i guess the more room for boost equals around the same temps
--
here are also 2 screenshots panel on/off wth undervolt @825mV 1755Mhz core clock
View: https://i.imgur.com/epzPWDP.jpg
- with panel on
View: https://i.imgur.com/O6qellz.jpg
- with panel off
as u can see the performance compared to stock settings and undervolt is pretty much the same , undervolting with panel off have better temps but overall winner is stock settings with panel off from the benchmarks
this aside i dont really care for benchmark score i just wanted to know what temperature is good and also should i do something with my case? I currently have my AIO mouted on the front panel (exhaust) and i have 2 more fans 1x at the top and 1x at the back of the case alsoe exhaust , i was thinking of switching my AIO fans to intake , but since they infront of the front panel and the radiator is behind (and if i switch so the radiator can be at the front of the case and the fans behind to intake one of the fans will intake air directly to the power supply and i dont know how okay is that , i was also thinking of make the top and back fans intake but they would intake fresh air and all the heat from the GPU will be exhausted thru the AIO and my cpu will be hotter i assume and im very confused , but overall if 84c for this GPU is okay i will just leave it like this , fan speed goes up to 82% at 80c+ which is not really a problem for me because im most of the time with headset on

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

mammaliika

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
/sees image of PC interior
/sees "2 fans intake"
/looks back to the rear fan

Umm, that's not intake... for reference:
iu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't seem to be working too well.
Ehh, it works well in some scenarios, and not in others. The only one out of the 3 that is bad, per se, is the gpu core, since Gpu Boost 3.0 isn't going to like running over 83C, and thus won't sustain the best boost curves.
I'd still give hot spot and memory junction the green light. Worse 3080 operating thermals have been posted here.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
very sad moment for my gpu :D
How so? Memory and hot spot you've posted are fine, and don't affect Boost 3.0 until they hit their thermal limits.
Gpu core functions a little different, as it has several temperature thresholds and cooler temperatures see better boost curves.
A combo of improving airflow to the gpu and undervolting it should help keep the core under 83C.

Airflow: Between the rear PCIe slots, and the front panel, the rear is going to offer more. Remove the slot guards beneath the gpu as well as the vertical ones.
Leave the front, top, and rear as exhaust.

Undervolt: Since you have an EVGA card, it may be preferable to use their Precision software with it.
Take the max gpu core voltage - which appears to be 1.063v from the hwinfo SS - and subtract 0.05v from that. You may be able to subtract more than 0.05v, but it's a start. Anyway, 1.013v.
Open Precision's curve editor and find 1.013v, or the value closest to it, and click on that point in the Voltage/Frequency curve. Increase the frequency from that point up to the max recorded frequency, which looks to be 1965mhz.
Lock it in by pressing the L key and click Apply. Then save the profile for quicker access. Remember to click reset on Precision's main HUD when not using the gpu.

mammaliika

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
i undervolt it in msi afterburner 0.780v @ 1800mhz temps are still high af , 84c max , 90c junction , 92.6c hotspot i ran heaven benchmark for 30min on loop and didnt crash, i guess if i want lower temps i have to lower the core clock to 1700 or something :( overall is 93c hotspot and 90c junction safe? because if its safe like i mention on previous replies i dont care about the noise i just dont want the gpu to die after 2 years , thats all

P.S i maxed out the fans on the radiator which pull air and i felt literally 0 airflow on my hand at full speed so i guess i have to reconfig radiator to be infront of the case and the fans to bebehind so they can pull some air inside because i feel like even at full speed fans i felt 0air going to my hand and when i opened the panel i felt the air , perahsp either the case is weird af orthe fans have to intake behind the radiator so some airflow can go thru the case and the exhaust fans at the top can pull it out efficent, but im not expert so im just assuming , tomorrow ill reconfig the rad and the fans and see what happen :D

Reactions: ~cw

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i ran heaven benchmark for 30min on loop and didnt crash
Heaven Bench is dated. Better to run your most graphically demanding game, Unigine Superposition(game mode, then click cinematic mode), or 3D Mark's paid version.

"i undervolt it in msi afterburner 0.780v @ 1800mhz... i guess if i want lower temps i have to lower the core clock to 1700 or something"
That's sounds like a lot to me, on both the core clock and gpu voltage. I was hoping to suggest a fair core voltage without dropping core clock too much.

"overall is 93c hotspot and 90c junction safe?"
Yes.

"i guess i have to reconfig radiator to be infront of the case and the fans to be behind..."
With a radiator + solid/semi-solid panels, you're practically stacking 2 'walls'. Have the rad + fans up top and the chassis fans behind the front panel to balance that out a little better;
the rad's fans will have an easier time moving air through radiator + mesh panel Vs radiator + semi-solid panel.

mammaliika

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
"i guess i have to reconfig radiator to be infront of the case and the fans to be behind..."
With a radiator + solid/semi-solid panels, you're practically stacking 2 'walls'. Have the rad + fans up top and the chassis fans behind the front panel to balance that out a little better;
the rad's fans will have an easier time moving air through radiator + mesh panel Vs radiator + semi-solid panel.
this case support only 2x140mm top sadly
also i removed slot guards beneath the gpu and i cant believe this actually did something , temps dropped by 3c , not much but still considering what was done is amazing imo i ran again this heaven benchmark and then i dl superposition , not sure if i got the settings right.I ran the Game and cinematic mode like u said for 10min and afterwards i did benchmark on performance , 1080p extreme and this is the result
https://img001.prntscr.com/file/img001/Y13MzMOeRLeonC3UD28HTQ.jpg
overall the temps dropped by a bit , but I NEED MORE :D and im not really into this undervolting as u can assume from what i reply

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
this case support only 2x140mm top sadly
Indeed it doesn't... fiddlesticks.
Well, the best thing you can do is to have the AIO's fans as far from the front panel as possible.

"also i removed slot guards beneath the gpu and i cant believe this actually did something , temps dropped by 3c , not much but still considering what was done is amazing imo"
Look at it this way: that's better than the gpu core crossing 83C and Gpu Boost throttling back more because of it.

"overall the temps dropped by a bit , but I NEED MORE and im not really into this undervolting as u can assume from what i reply "
Aye, I gotcha, but the only way to get more, is to feed more... air to the gpu, I mean. There's not much more that can be done with the C300G, without ripping up the front panel or just buying another chassis that is more porous.

Reactions: ~cw